Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail Camera Tactics

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Just as the title states. I'm interested in everyone's trail camera tactics. The guys that own or hunt alot of land or separate properties how many cams per 100 acres? Also what do you do during each season to try to not miss any deer on the property? Corn/mineral during sumner? Scrapes during the fall? Food late season? Not just to catch pics of the elusive old bucks but also keep tabs on the young bucks you hope to hunt in the future. I'm always wanting to learn more and there are some true killers on this site with loads of knowledge.
I know many might have different opinions and that's what I'm looking for.
Thanks

It hard to beat mineral licks during the summer antler growing season. I enjoy monitoring scrapes on video mode in October and November. 12 second clips will tell you a lot more than photos.

During season I tend to place my cams on bottlenecks, places where multiple trails intersect and fence crossings; that's where I feel I get the best sample of what is passing through based on how the farm I hunt lays out. Some farms have awesome community scrapes, but I have yet to find a dynamite one on this farm, otherwise I would go that route. During summer it's field edges for me and the same for late season, with some travel corridors where deer move from bed to feed. Once the season is over I'll put out some corn to see when bucks shed, but I don't go crazy and I'll usually get some brand new rando bucks in the Feb.-March time frame.

This year I had 3 cams to cover the probably 6-700 acres of huntable ground that I focused on the most. Ideally I would like one per 60-80 acres, but more or less depending on the lay of the land, habitat, man-made features, etc. I was actually really surprised at how there was very little overlap of the same buck showing up on multiple cams for me this year, so sometimes having multiple cams on 100 acres would definitely be needed. One thing I've learned is that there's no right or wrong way to do it and sometimes the ole standby method everybody uses needs to be updated or fine tuned. I know that every spring when I'm shed hunting I always come across a place that I know I need to put a cam the next year.

Lots of potential variables here and many potential discussion angles...but here is what we do nowadays. We usually have 7-8 cameras up on 180 acres. You could get by with fewer, but it has also been very intriguing to see just how certain bucks show up on certain cams...and not on others very much...that are only 150-400 yards apart...on the same 180 acres. While there is definitely territorial overlap between bucks...it is also very apparent that a given buck will be "all over the place" on one area of the farm and hardly ever show on cams on the other end of the same modest sized farm. Our observations of this phenomenon have been accentuated over the years as we have often compared notes with neighbors and over time you can often get a real clear picture of whether a given buck "goes north" at night, "heads east" in mid-October, etc. There are frequently very discernible patterns for daily and seasonal movements.

Many times one neighbor will not even know a given buck exists, even though their nearest cam may only be 100 yards off of our property...yet another neighbor will have many pics of the same buck on a frequent basis. We'll start with cams over mineral sites predominantly in late July/August and then move them in mid-September to scrapes, natural travel routes/trails and usually a couple in open food plots. We are most active with our cams during the August-October time of the year. We mainly want to see what bucks are present and also get a sense of their preferred "zone" on the farm.

Once we know just that basic info, we are so familiar with our place that we often know right then which buck(s) we will shoot that year, which treestand and usually about when it will happen. We will hunt October cold fronts pretty actively, but otherwise, we kind of lay back until later in October and then get much more focused in early to mid November. (No real secrets there! :)) We have stands that we might only hunt once per season...one place I can think of is a westerly wind only, Nov. 15th to Nov. 30th only and you know when you go there you are likely to see 1 deer only that morning...but he is also likely to be the oldest buck still surviving in our neighborhood.

We have developed that amount of specificity due to trail cam observations over the years AND of course actual sightings. But I cannot imagine having this level of understanding back before trail cams were a thing. We don't check cams often during the season, some, but not a lot. We then are eager to get them back, in predominantly feeding areas, after the season to see who has survived, or moved in. But truly, we get relatively few move-ins, 85%+ of "our" bucks are ones that we observe frequently over 2 or more years. They may not be on our farm all of the time, but they come around often enough to be considered "regulars".

If we do get "move-ins" it is during the rut, but then they are usually "one and done" type of deals where it seems like they have fairly obviously been lured out of their normal lairs by a hot doe. And the other scenario is when we have really good food, standing corn/beans, etc, we will see bucks show up in late Dec. through spring green up. BUT...we have had multiple situations where we pretty much know that a "late season food source move in" will then return "home" that spring. Oh, we also occasionally get "one time" pics of a given big bucks in Mid-July...and then never again. It is almost as though they go for a "big walk" once per summer...maybe they are on vacation. :)

I typically get cameras out in June-ish over mineral. Up through august or so, I'll be able to get some pretty good inventory of what bucks are still around and can watch them grow. Once we hit september or so, I'll transition those cameras to scrapes or high travel areas with the intention of possibly patterning a deer for early October. I have yet to be successful in patterning and killing an early season buck, but it's worth a shot. This year, I pretty much left my cameras on scrapes all the way through November. Video mode on the scrapes, it shows an unbelievable amount MORE than you get with just pics. Right now, I have my cameras hanging over known feeding areas and set on time lapse for the last hour and a half of daylight. I'll check them every few days or so to get an idea of what deer are hitting those fields and when they start being consistent in them. I ran by one of the locations last night and there were no deer out in the couple of spots I expected to see them... That should change once the temp drops. And the cameras will tell me. Once muzzy season is over, I'll set the cameras up over some piles of hay and corn to monitor the survivors and sheds.

I almost forgot. I run cameras very consistently on two farms, with about two other locations being hit and miss on whether I hang a camera or not. I only run 4 cameras right now. That WILL increase, but for now that's what I have.

I run cameras all year...Start the summer on a mineral lick and heavy travel corridors, switch to scrapes Mid Sept and overlooking food plots as well.....No one give me crap over this, but on a 30 acre piece, this year I ran 12 cameras..What I have learned on that particular piece, is a buck that is on the east side, wont be on the west side. Some how, the middle of that property is a dividing line, so I run extra to really pin point where they are moving and when. I only do 1 camera on a mineral lick to see get some solid pictures.

Like Flugge, I have 10 cameras out on a 50 acre piece. It's pretty fascinating how you get certain bucks on camera in an area and not in other
areas, even though the property is so small.

I've got 3 on a 40 acre property I hunt. Like some have said, it is amazing that a deer will show up on one camera frequently, and never show up on one 150 yards away.
I also have 5 on a rather large piece of public land I hunt in TN, spread out over a couple miles. With these, it helps to find funnels around rock outcroppings, old logging roads, etc... Much of the public has been logged, and those areas have thick briars after a couple of years. If I see what looks like a trail into them, I'll take a machete, or gas hedge trimmers and make a better trail in early May, then clean it again a couple times in the summer.

Where legal, apples and pears get a lot of pictures!

Daver's post was fantastically spot on for our 200 acre farm, minus the mineral aspect as we cannot use it. I try to buy at least 2 new cams each year, and I don't lose that many, so I'm gaining in coverage and knowledge of our deer. A good example is that a neighbor across the fence shot a good 4.5 year old buck on our opener of gun this Nov. He had a pic of the deer beforehand and shared it. He doesn't run more than a cam or 2. I had no pics of the deer, and can't even recognize it from prior years. Anyway he couldn't recover the animal. Lost the blood in heavy cover. One week went by and my dad found him in our creek while crossbow hunting. The deer had circled back and came north to die smack in the center of our farm, like he'd been here a million times. Just amazes me that I have no pics of this deer. We hand delivered the rack to the neighbor the day my dad found it. His young daughter was with him the morning he shot it and had been helping on the recovery attempt.

I use cedar rubbing posts a lot now, in lieu of mineral it's the best I got. Placed in a food plot and I can get decent inventory that way.

We use shell corn in the summer. It really draws the deer in and you can quit using it before the season and let the deer clean it up so baiting is not an issue as with minerals.

Top Bottom