Treehouse

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Obsessed, Aug 2, 2020 at 7:09 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Obsessed

Obsessed Well-Known Member

So, the kids wanted me to build them a treehouse... I scouted trees all winter and determined that if I built it the size that they wanted, I'd have to build it on stilts. Like most things, once I started putting money time and labor into it, I decided to go all out. This is the end result. A lofted treehouse that's 10' off the ground. Steel siding and roof. Fully encased in closed cell spray foam insulation. I ran electric to it and CAT6 cable for internet, and installed a window AC/heatpump unit. Finished the inside with 3/4" thich 8" wide pine planks. It's a full blown cabin on stilts. A buddy of mine contributed the porta-pot. It overlooks a full acre foodplot that I've failed twice to get alfalfa established in this year, but intend on giving another try at the end of August. My family had our first vacation in years cancelled this spring when stupid C-19 madness set in, so this has been a good constructive outlet for us and the money we saved up for vacation, and a place to 'camp out'. I finished everything up early in the summer, but just got internet wired in on Friday. I built it nice enough that I can use it as a secondary office, and enjoy it as a true mancave once the kids move out years down the road... Fun little project. More expensive that I originally intended, but hey, when isn't that the case.
    Treehouse.jpg

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. jkratz5

jkratz5 Super Moderator

Any timber on the back side of that so you can hunt out of her too!!!

That thing is very cool!!!

Daver likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Neighbors horse property directly behind. Timber to the front and sides is mine, with an acre food plot directly in front, (I was standing in it to take the pic). Deer will be hunted out of the front windows, for sure. Thanks!

jkratz5 and Daver like this.
  5. Bucksnbears

Bucksnbears New Member

Looks great!.
    Next step a railing??

EatSleepHunt likes this.
  6. breckhawk

breckhawk Active Member

Dual purpose! Love it. Nice job!

7. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

That's awesome, you even got a little garage out of it to! Looks tall, is there a loft?

8. Obsessed

LOL! Exact same thing my wife said. I will begrudgingly add one, due to obvious safety reasons, but I don't wanna.

9. Obsessed

Thanks! Yep, there's a loft in the front 2/3 of it. Kids and I have air mattresses and have spent quite a few nights in it this summer. The loft area belongs to the kids. The pine smell was overpowering for the first few weeks, but it's taming down a bit now. I bought 1/2 inch thick jig-saw puzzle piece mats/tiles off ebay for the flooring. It was cheaper than menards vinyl or carpet, plus I can replace tiles when they get damaged. I had three big double hung windows left over from my home addition project that the inspector said were too small for egress windows, (which they aren't, but you don't argue with the home inspector...). I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Kids love it too, which is the real reason I built it in the first place. Glad I went with the closed cell foam insulation. I'm a very frugal person, and it hurt to splurge on it, but it's amazing how much more rigid and air tight it made everything. It's like a big Coleman cooler sitting on top of 10 foot posts. Pretty easy to keep cool this summer. We'll see how easy it is to heat this winter. No wind get's in, that's for sure.

jkratz5 and sep0667 like this.