Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspaser

Wanted to make my first post in the harvest report forum with my big buck i shot this year, but it didn't happen, But this post is great! glad you caught the guy dbltree. I don't own my own land, but hope to someday. You would think there are enough deer in southern iowa where this guy wouldn't need to be treespassing to shoot/push one outta your land.

dbltree, you must be mistaken......
This so-called neighbor has claimed for years he has the property between you and him leased.
If you are in touch with the land owners be sure they question him on where he has placed his past paid hunters.

they may be owed some money :way:

dbltree, you must be mistaken......
This so-called neighbor has claimed for years he has the property between you and him leased.
If you are in touch with the land owners be sure they question him on where he has placed his past paid hunters.

they may be owed some money :way:

Yep...he had everyone buffaloed for awhile and I just minded my own business and stayed clear of it...let's just say I will be a little more involved now...;)

Be Extremely Careful - "Cultural Differences" exist when it comes to trespassing

Hey all. I'm in Kansas, have several thousand acres of hunting ground, and hate trespassers as much as the next guy. But I have to tell you, from hunting all around the country, getting all haired up like this with a trespasser can be dangerous, and in some cases, incredibly dangerous. I have ground in a very rural county in Tennessee where trespassing is endemic with certain families. In a frustrated state of mind, I once asked with my land manager why criminal charges were not being pressed. Simple answer: he didn't want my horses shot, my crops and timber burned, his pets poisoned, his children threatened, his house burglarized, and then burned to the ground. And he wasn't kidding. I confirmed as much with the game warden, who flat-out stated: filing criminal charges against this individual for trespassing was not only inadvisable, but extremely dangerous. As in old school, spitting blood, shoot you in the back of the head dangerous. And he wasn't kidding.

In many parts of the country, the trespasser, antler thief, poacher, drug dealer, methamphetamine maker, rural house burglarizer, fence, cattle/horse thief, and all around scum-bag is one and the same. Even worse, these kinds of people have lots of friends and family of the same mind and occupation--so it's like going up against the rural version of a street gang, a hillbilly mafia, or something like that. There is A LOT of rural organized crime in some parts of the country, and for some reason, they all like to spotlight, poach deer and trespass.

So to sum up, if you go down the road of pressing charges with the "wrong" person, it might not end up with 'justice prevailing' and all that jazz.

My advice: Use common sense and be gracious at all times. Most of these people will be intensely jealous of you and they are looking, even begging, for a reason to violently put you in your place. In my situation, we traded exclusive turkey hunting access for their entire family in exchange for not trespassing or poaching during the deer season. I now have the most terrifying group of "watchers" in all of middle Tennessee and I don't have ANY problem with trespassers anymore, none, nada, believe me. Yes, it was a compromise, but in the long run, it was a wise one.

Bronc

Last edited:
In my situation, we traded exclusive turkey hunting access for their entire family in exchange for not trespassing or poaching during the deer season. I now have the most terrifying group of "watchers" in all of middle Tennessee and I don't have ANY problem with trespassers anymore, none, nada, believe me. Yes, it was a compromise, but in the long run, it was a wise one.

That kind of reminds me of negotiating with terrorists or appeasement of Hitler in WWII (letting him take Czechoslovakia and Austria, etc). Or "hey, you don't burn my house down and I'll mow your lawn every week"- are you kidding me? These guys are neighborhood TERRORISTS (like you give examples of above). I'm not saying your situation is the same as the more serious above AND if it did work for you, ok BUT I really think the world would be a worse off place if everyone did that. That's horrible about your situation, neighborhood and story. I would say, if I owned land in an area like that, I'd just move or sell my ground if I got no where fighting back.
In IA- I don't think anywhere is as bad as what you explained. Now days, if people pull that CRAP like you mentioned, you get them on trail camera, bring a video camera, get a carrying permit (or just carry on your own land) and get them in prison on felony charges. There's too many areas to trespass if you're looking at your one STRICT & TOUGH neighbor that will stand up to this CRAP- I think most of these lunatics and crooks will go trespass on the guy who isn't gonna press charges, fight back (properly) and escalate it to felony charges- IMO. I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with this garbage, including your sad example above, sorry you had to deal with that junk.

Last edited:
I'm serious. Dealing with these people can get SERIOUS.

Iowa is not Tennessee, there are regional and "cultural considerations" to this topic. I do know something for certain though, I do not believe in the utter stupidity of, "bringing it on" when dealing with people who have 2 or 3 felony convictions already--people who seek violent revenge as a matter of personal and family pride. George Bush said that, and guess what? The Taliban brought it on. 10 years, and a trillion dollars later, we are still fighting them. Winning every battle, killing them a ton, but losing the war.

I am trying to convey that 'pain in the ass trespasser' often equates to 'violent, revenge seeking, hardened criminal' (and his family and friends.) Being "strict" with these people, "felony" trespass, give me a break. Some of these people will kill you on a dare.

Don't get pissed at me. I'm just telling you how it is. Use your head.

Bronc

Don't get pissed at me. I'm just telling you how it is. Use your head.

Bronc

No, I'm not pissed at you. I see your point of view and I also see another which I mentioned. Again, sorry for that garbage and weirdos you've had to deal with, I know I wouldn't stick around a neighborhood like that!

Although this is my first post, I have been visiting this site since 2003. I believe that Dbltree is doing exactly what needs to be done!
I hope this thread helps to open the eyes of future potential trespassers to think twice before crossing the line!!

archery20

Dang! It only took you 7 years to find something on here worth speaking up about???? :D

Parts of Kansas...

In certain rural counties in Kansas where my family owns land, the sheriff will not issue a trespassing citation for simple or "purple post" trespassing (written permission required) on the 1st or 2nd time, unless another crime has been committed. Kansas Wildlife and Parks officers will cite on "purple post" trespassing if the person is hunting or fishing.

Reason for the difference as related to me by our county prosecutor?

When Kansas Wildlife and Parks officers get a certain number of credible death threats, they can (and are) transferred to some godforsaken county in western Kansas. The local sheriff (and his deputies) don't have that luxury--they are local people, and the sheriff stands for re-election every 4 years.

In some areas of the country, everyone is related to everyone, so pissing off the criminal element often means pissing off everyone.

When the sheriff thinks it's a bad idea, I'm just saying, be diplomatic and use your head.

Bronc

Just when I thought this thread was about over. Sorry about your luck with morons in TN. I see your point of view, but that is rediculous though that the bad guys can get away with that kind of crap. The law enforcement must be minimal to none down there. Personally I would not let a trespasser get away with it if I know who it is and I definitely would not compromise with them, talk about making the situation worse! I'm gonna do whatever necessary to get them into the law's hands.

Nothwest of Mason City, back in the day when fur prices were really good I came across a situation. I walked up to the machine shed of a landowner who was workin gon his hay baler. This guy owned a prime stretch of Winnebago river and I had been lusting after it for years. A ton of coon and mink down there.

I asked the fellow for permission to trap his land and he simply said that the ____ brothers trapped it. (name left out on purpose)

My standard answer was this, "Have they asked you for permission yet for this year?"

His answer was a flat, "They don't ask." and by the look on his face I could tell where this was going. I pushed it and said, "well if they don't have permission would you mind if I trapped it too?"

He said if I knew what was good for me I wouldn't go near it.

Now I have never been one to back away from a confrontation, ask anyone who knows me, but I was trapping full time and my family depended on it, and the thought of being out there in the early morning hours with nothing but a headlight and a .22 pistol in a belt holster, bent over a trap did not have a lot of appeal.

Once I heard these guy's names, I perked up every time I heard of them again and after some time, I decided that I had done the right thing by driving on by that place.

Stuff like that happens everywhere.

Southeast of Forest City back in the late 1980's, there was a man with two sons who were known as the poachers of that area. They trapped a strecth of river like it was theirs even through it ran through several private landowners and is not public water. A new guy moved to Forest City and got permission to trap some of that river. One morning while checking his traps in a canoe, he came around the bend and standing on the bridge with a gun was the poacher and his two sons. They shot him three times. True Story.

It was not that long ago that our own DNR did not carry a side arm. There is a lot of waco's out there.

Nothwest of Mason City, back in the day when fur prices were really good I came across a situation. I walked up to the machine shed of a landowner who was workin gon his hay baler. This guy owned a prime stretch of Winnebago river and I had been lusting after it for years. A ton of coon and mink down there.

I asked the fellow for permission to trap his land and he simply said that the ____ brothers trapped it. (name left out on purpose)

My standard answer was this, "Have they asked you for permission yet for this year?"

His answer was a flat, "They don't ask." and by the look on his face I could tell where this was going. I pushed it and said, "well if they don't have permission would you mind if I trapped it too?"

He said if I knew what was good for me I wouldn't go near it.

Now I have never been one to back away from a confrontation, ask anyone who knows me, but I was trapping full time and my family depended on it, and the thought of being out there in the early morning hours with nothing but a headlight and a .22 pistol in a belt holster, bent over a trap did not have a lot of appeal.

Once I heard these guy's names, I perked up every time I heard of them again and after some time, I decided that I had done the right thing by driving on by that place.

Stuff like that happens everywhere.

Southeast of Forest City back in the late 1980's, there was a man with two sons who were known as the poachers of that area. They trapped a strecth of river like it was theirs even through it ran through several private landowners and is not public water. A new guy moved to Forest City and got permission to trap some of that river. One morning while checking his traps in a canoe, he came around the bend and standing on the bridge with a gun was the poacher and his two sons. They shot him three times. True Story.

Oh come on, give us their name. This is starting to sound like a dang Batman movie. As long as no one does anything about these violators then yes it will keep happening.

Speaking of trespassers, I checked Iowa Courts Online yesterday, and Goddard's trial is today! :way:

I'm not claiming there are not nuts out there but I think a lot of peoples reputation is far worse than they actually are. I wouldn't own land in an area that I had to live in fear of what tresspassers would do if I pursued legal action against them. If they are doing other crimes such as dealing/making meth I think its my responsibility as a citizen to do what I can to call law enforcements attention to them. If that didn't work and I was threatened in any way I think I might cut every tree down I could, ruin it for hunting and sell the ground for agriculture or an ATV park at a nice profit and buy somewhere else.

Hey all. I'm in Kansas, have several thousand acres of hunting ground, and hate trespassers as much as the next guy. But I have to tell you, from hunting all around the country, getting all haired up like this with a trespasser can be dangerous, and in some cases, incredibly dangerous. I have ground in a very rural county in Tennessee where trespassing is endemic with certain families. In a frustrated state of mind, I once asked with my land manager why criminal charges were not being pressed. Simple answer: he didn't want my horses shot, my crops and timber burned, his pets poisoned, his children threatened, his house burglarized, and then burned to the ground. And he wasn't kidding. I confirmed as much with the game warden, who flat-out stated: filing criminal charges against this individual for trespassing was not only inadvisable, but extremely dangerous. As in old school, spitting blood, shoot you in the back of the head dangerous. And he wasn't kidding.
sounds like you need Wyatt Earp and his immortals to come down and rid you of some cowboys
In many parts of the country, the trespasser, antler thief, poacher, drug dealer, methamphetamine maker, rural house burglarizer, fence, cattle/horse thief, and all around scum-bag is one and the same. Even worse, these kinds of people have lots of friends and family of the same mind and occupation--so it's like going up against the rural version of a street gang, a hillbilly mafia, or something like that. There is A LOT of rural organized crime in some parts of the country, and for some reason, they all like to spotlight, poach deer and trespass.

So to sum up, if you go down the road of pressing charges with the "wrong" person, it might not end up with 'justice prevailing' and all that jazz.

My advice: Use common sense and be gracious at all times. Most of these people will be intensely jealous of you and they are looking, even begging, for a reason to violently put you in your place. In my situation, we traded exclusive turkey hunting access for their entire family in exchange for not trespassing or poaching during the deer season. I now have the most terrifying group of "watchers" in all of middle Tennessee and I don't have ANY problem with trespassers anymore, none, nada, believe me. Yes, it was a compromise, but in the long run, it was a wise one. c
sounds like you need Wyatt Earp and his gang of immortals to come down and rid you of some cowboys:drink2:

We had a group of guys (8-10 individuals) that use to hunt our land before we took it over in the mid 90s. When we took it over we had a few encounters with them, the first time we were nice, thinking they probably didn't realize there was an ownership change and giving them the benefit of the doubt. We also knew from some conversations with the local CO and landowners that these guys were no good, several of them had been or were currently serving time, mainly for drug related charges. However, we had been told that these individuals were not afriad to shoot if it came down to it.

So the second time we caught them on our ground it was clear as day they were tresspassing as we caught one of them in a lie covering for the 6 others that were quail and pheasant hunting a 1/2 mile away on the other side of the farm. We decided that the only way the SOBs were going to learn to stay off our ground was to hit the bully square on the chin. I never have seen a set of cock roaches scatter as fast as those boys did when the truck came flying through the middle of the CRP at 40mph. One of them even had to dive out of the way (oops, shouldn't have been on the farm I guess). Another one was hung upside down in the barb wire fence, 3 fled and one of them was red in the face and madder than a hornet. My old man jumped out of the car, pistol clearly visible, and asked them what they were doing. They replied quail hunting and that they had permission. We asked why everyone ran away and they realized they were caught. They lied anyhow, said they had permission from the farmer. My old man replied you have until we get back from the farmers house to be off this land if you are lying, otherwise the truck isn't stopping and the sheriff was getting called. We returned 4 minutes later after learning they did not have permission from the farmer and of course the field was empty. We called the CO, reported what happened and he took care of it. The was the last tresspasser that we had on our land. To this day the folks from the neighboring farm ask us every year if they can cut wood. My dad has given one of them permission to go without asking but he insists on asking every year because he heard about the last tresspassing incident. I know that it might not have been the wiseist thing we ever did, but sometimes you just have to hit the bully on the chin. You let them walk all over you and they just keep taking more.

Kratz

Soaping Your Stands

So a couple of years ago, I was back in Tennessee talking with three or four of my "watchers" at the little country store up on the highway. A big, customized pickup pulls up, and everything goes real quiet, while a fairly young man pumps his gas. The instant he got back into his truck, everybody burst out laughing--like there was a big inside joke or something.

I said, "I don't get it," and one of them explained. The man was a very high-powered lawyer from Nashville, who five (5) years previously, had bought 320 acres of some really good hunting ground my watchers liked to hunt. That didn't go over well, and they got bounced off the river bottom repeatedly until the attorney threatened a lawsuit in a certified letter.

In revenge that first season, they went to the store and bought 5 boxes of TIDE laundry detergent--full scent--and then they soaped the lawyer's ground. The whole 320 had little piles of TIDE detergent dumped on it which quite effectively killed it for any kind of hunting. Then, EVERY YEAR AFTER THAT they did the same thing. The lawyer had about a million dollars invested in land, equipment, food plots and improvements and he had yet to kill a doe.

"And we're gonna keep doing it till he dies," my watcher said laughing, like I was part of the gag. "If we ain't gonna kill deer on it, neither is he!" Then he went on to explain how to soap a rifle stand, a bow stand, or the whole damn property.

Now, everytime I'm in North Carolina, West Virgina, Kentucky, Arkansas or Tennessee talking with "the local folk" about deer hunting, I let slip with, "Anybody around here ever soap peoples stands?" and 9 times out of 10 everybody starts laughing.

If I was in Iowa on a very expensive, but kinda small piece of property, I would be extremely careful about who I pissed off. An 80, 160, or 320 can be destroyed every year by one asshole and a couple of boxes of TIDE.

If your ground or stands go dead routinely around about early October, you may have pissed off some vindictive asshole who is TIDE-ing your ground.

Use your head, is what I say. Because you may think you are winning--or have won--but in reality you are being laughed at.

Bronc

So a couple of years ago, I was back in Tennessee talking with three or four of my "watchers" at the little country store up on the highway. A big, customized pickup pulls up, and everything goes real quiet, while a fairly young man pumps his gas. The instant he got back into his truck, everybody burst out laughing--like there was a big inside joke or something.

I said, "I don't get it," and one of them explained. The man was a very high-powered lawyer from Nashville, who five (5) years previously, had bought 320 acres of some really good hunting ground my watchers liked to hunt. That didn't go over well, and they got bounced off the river bottom repeatedly until the attorney threatened a lawsuit in a certified letter.

In revenge that first season, they went to the store and bought 5 boxes of TIDE laundry detergent--full scent--and then they soaped the lawyer's ground. The whole 320 had little piles of TIDE detergent dumped on it which quite effectively killed it for any kind of hunting. Then, EVERY YEAR AFTER THAT they did the same thing. The lawyer had about a million dollars invested in land, equipment, food plots and improvements and he had yet to kill a doe.

"And we're gonna keep doing it till he dies," my watcher said laughing, like I was part of the gag. "If we ain't gonna kill deer on it, neither is he!" Then he went on to explain how to soap a rifle stand, a bow stand, or the whole damn property.

Now, everytime I'm in North Carolina, West Virgina, Kentucky, Arkansas or Tennessee talking with "the local folk" about deer hunting, I let slip with, "Anybody around here ever soap peoples stands?" and 9 times out of 10 everybody starts laughing.

If I was in Iowa on a very expensive, but kinda small piece of property, I would be extremely careful about who I pissed off. An 80, 160, or 320 can be destroyed every year by one asshole and a couple of boxes of TIDE.

If your ground or stands go dead routinely around about early October, you may have pissed off some vindictive asshole who is TIDE-ing your ground.

Use your head, is what I say. Because you may think you are winning--or have won--but in reality you are being laughed at.

Bronc

Well, that's what trail cams are for. That couple boxes of Tide could turn into thousands of dollars in trespass and damage fees. I think the thing to do would be to call this guy and let him know what's going on. Then, I would find some new friends.

Top Bottom