Turning existing plots into clover plots.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by MuddyHntr, Nov 17, 2019.

1. MuddyHntr

MuddyHntr Active Member

For starters I will state that I am very new to food plots. This year I planted a few brassica plots on my new farm. One was eaten down to the dirt and the other was planted a little to thin but has a lot of bulbs that the deer aren't touching. In both plots I over seeded with winter rye, winter wheat, oats and winter peas. This upcoming year I want to change these plots to clover and leave them as clover plots as they are a bit small to do anything else in. My question is aside from a soil test what are the recommended steps to turn these plots into successful clover plots. Will just frost seeding work and then mow the grain as it starts to grow? Thank you for the help.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I am pretty sure that will have success in that scenario by just frost seeding and then mowing off any rye that is coming on in say May or so. Worst case...they rye grows and then dies off in July, no big deal.

4. Wi transplant

Wi transplant PMA Member

Sounds good maybe hit with some low nitrogen fertilizer in the spring also

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

5. EatSleepHunt

EatSleepHunt Active Member

Frost seed for sure. I would let the rye go until the seed heads get to the dough stage, then mow. This will suppress weed growth and help hold moisture. As stated previously, add some p&k as Soon as you can. Soil test . Good luck. Also I wouldn't over seed peas, think
    They need a little depth. Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6. MuddyHntr

MuddyHntr Active Member

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a relatively easy transition into this new plan.