Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unprotected shrubs

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
I'd like to plant around 200 various plants in different areas and was wondering what the survival rates would be unprotected? The deer numbers are down and there doesn't seem to be an extreme amount or rabbits. Any luck doing this or suck it up and plant less and cover?

I've planted a lot more than 200 at a time and still had survival rate of basically zero. I would absolutely plant less and protect unless your planting something like cedar.

• Deleted by Jody Hoffman
  • Reason: I made a mistake
Show…
I'd like to plant around 200 various plants in different areas and was wondering what the survival rates would be unprotected? The deer numbers are down and there doesn't seem to be an extreme amount or rabbits. Any luck doing this or suck it up and plant less and cover?

If we have another bad winter the rabbits will strip the bark off everything,i would plant less and cover them or plant in the spring

Which protectors seem to work best for you? Cost?
There are guys on here who plant a lot more trees than I do so hopefully they'll chime in. Any decent barrier seems to work, I've used all sorts of different fencing with success.
I've had good luck using the plastic deer fence rolls to enclose an entire area. To protect individually I usually just cut 4' chunks from rolled wire fencing and wrap around each tree with an electric fence style stake to hold it up.
KIMG0352.jpg
KIMG0351.jpg
KIMG0350.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I like to use old sections of snow fence and put in a circle to plant groups of scrubs in . 50ft = 17ft circle. Approx. Couple of tposts and your good ! Good luck !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

I'll never plant a tree or shrub and not protect them. Once they get established then they can spread naturally but gotta protect the first few years or wasting your time. Cages are best on shrubs. I even did 2.5' tubes and cages to be sure rabbits didn't get them. Pain in the butt but it worked.

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Top Bottom