Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison ribs... what ya got?

I'm with 7mm on that the fat can be a little waxy, coating your lips and teeth. I dug around on my computer and found this in my recipe folder.

I took the ribs of a yearling deer I shot and placed them in my Brinkman smoker. I had an old grapevine that I cut about 4 inch sections of, then split them lengthwise and soaked them in water. I have an electric element for the smoker, so I plugged it in and let it smoke for 5.5 hours. While I was waiting on the ribs, I made up some “Carolina Red” bbq sauce, modifying a recipe I found via google. My mom was from western Kentucky and every time we would visit the relatives down there, we would drive to a local bbq joint for goat ribs and chipped mutton sandwiches. It was a watery vinegar sauce.

I mixed the following and brought it to a simmer:
One half gallon cheap ketchup
One and a half gallon white vinegar
4 tablespoons each of white and brown sugar
One half tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Two tablespoons black peppercorns
Six habenero pepper, cut in quarters
10 small jalapeno peppers, cut in quarters

I pulled the ribs off the smoker, put them in the big canner full of sauce, placed it in the oven and set the temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of hours, then backed it down to 180 F for a couple of hours, then turned the oven off overnight.

After cooling overnight, there was a solidified fat layer over the top which I skimmed off before boning out the ribs, returning the meat back to the sauce, added 6 more jalapenos and brought it back to a simmer. There is a LOT of vinegar in that sauce, which made the meat AND bones tender! I would recommend this for tough, old animals. Eat the "chipped" meat on fresh white bread, adding some fresh onion slices.

A lot of work!

I knew a guy that could make deer ribs taste like baby back ribs. Not sure how he did it BUT the one thing I do remember is he pressure cooked them at 15 psi to get the fat off of them. His had no fat on them whatsoever or film.

Top Bottom