Water Cress

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sod Savage, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

I am not really sure what forum to put this under so I will just thro it out here.

Does anyone know for sure if deer eat water cress this time of year? I came across a spring that was just loaded with water cress. It was lush and green. There were two big trails leading to the spring, but not across it. Like the deer would come to the spring and then turn back into their bedding area.

It got me to thinking and wondering if deer ate the stuff. I would imagine it would taste pretty good to a deer this time of year when everything else is dry and dead. I would like to go back and set a camera up on that spot and try to see for sure. But I am not sure if I will have the time.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

I can't say for sure about watercress but in my experience deer gravitate towards anything still green during the winter months.

Daver likes this.
  4. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

Not sure either but I'd like to find some for a salad or sandwich!

5. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Were they just after the water?

6. Sod Savage

Sod Savage Member

That's what I am not sure. There is a creek that runs less than 100 yards running parallel to the two main trails. Maybe the spring water taste fresher, IDK... Either way seems like a pretty good spot when then wind cooperates.