Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you shoot?

Shootstr8

Have a TC triumph Bone Collector. I shoot 150 grains of powder and 250 grain Hornady SST bullet. My Muzzleloader is very accurate, I'm looking for better blood trails. Please give me ideas to try. Thanks

Throw away the SST's, they are basically like shooting a deer with a field point tipped arrow. They blood trails are horrible with all the deer I've shot with them, basically there isn't one. Buy some Barnes 250 grain bullets and try those. I shoot the T-ez out of my pro hunter and they are just as accurate.

I shot SST's last year. Killed a buck, ZERO expansion. Hole coming out was the same size as the hole going in. My dad, brother and I all switched to Barnes TMZ's this year. So far 4 deer have been killed with great blood trails and expansion from the bullets. And just FYI, both the TMZ and TEZ are the same bullet, the TEZ just has a slightly thinner sabot for easier loading. We are shooting the 290 grain bullets. They have a higher KE and flatter trajectory compared to the 250 grainers, even at slower speeds. Barnes are fantastic bullets, unless for some reason your gun won't shoot them well, you won't be disappointed.

Powerbelts have always worked for me. 295 grain aerotips. Lots of knockdown power and good exit wounds. I've killed lots of deer with them and most of the time they just drop in their tracks.

I shoot SST's out of my omega with BH209. I tried switching to the Barnes TEZ but could not get them to group for some reason so went back to the SST's. I don't like the blood trails I have gotten but also need to be able to hit where I am. I tried powerbelts a few years ago and those shot horrible also.

Anything Barnes will give you good expansion. I shot SST's for awhile but really like the Barnes bullet better and won't waist my time with Powerbelts again. They were very accurate but lacked in performance on deer for me.

Barnes all the way, very accurate and expand everytime. I get a normal size entrance hole thru the hide then all hell breaks loose behind the hide giving an entrance hole i can put three fingers into thru the ribcage.
I have shot lots of deer with the SST's and liked how they shot but hated how they performed, zero expansion and little blood. The TC shockwaves are also produced by Hornady its a yellow tipped SST.
Go Barnes and dont look back.

I had reasonably good luck with Barnes in both 45 & 50 cals but still less blood trail than I liked especially in the absence of snow. In the never ending search for "mo better" I have tried the Bloodline bullets by Knight (used to be Lehigh Bullets). Solid brass bullet with 6 petals that break off on entry & wreak havoc on the innards. Best part about their blood trail is it's SHORT! Now, if you really want good blood trails, go smokeless & shoot Parker Match Hunters sabotless. Devastation I've only seen surpassed by a 50 cal Barrett! :eek:

I shoot TC Shockwaves (yellow tip). These are basically the same as SST's but I have had good luck with blood trails and short track jobs. I also shot the TC Shockwave blue tip and these didn't expand as well.

I shot SST's last year and man the accuracy is incredible it like all have mentioned is they just pass straight through without expanding...this year I switched to Barnes TMZ 250 grs...have shot three deer so far...one buck that ran about 40 yards and piled up and had some blood to followed without snow...shot two does one of which ran about 60 yards and it was spraying blood everywhere didn't even really need a flashlight(because I forgot it) and the other dropped in her tracks and blood had blown through everywhere...I will never not shoot Barnes after what I saw this season! Also the accuracy seems to be right on!

Shoot Barnes. If you're having accuracy issues reduce your powder until you find something it likes. They are the best bullet I have found. I have the best luck with the TMZs.

Off subject but possibly related??? I've shoot 250 grain Shockwaves with 100 grain Tripple Seven pellets as I found this combo was the most accurate out of my TC Triumph. What puzzles me is that I need to adjust my scope a little every year. Is this normal for ML's in general or my combination of equipment or my inadequate skills as a marksman? I shoot it off a lead sled while swabbing the barrel every 2-3 shots. I've had marginal success at best hunting LM so I really can't add to the main question of expansion issues.

Off subject but possibly related??? I've shoot 250 grain Shockwaves with 100 grain Tripple Seven pellets as I found this combo was the most accurate out of my TC Triumph. What puzzles me is that I need to adjust my scope a little every year. Is this normal for ML's in general or my combination of equipment or my inadequate skills as a marksman? I shoot it off a lead sled while swabbing the barrel every 2-3 shots. I've had marginal success at best hunting LM so I really can't add to the main question of expansion issues.

What kind of scope is on your gun? I had the same issue for years and finally bought a good muzzleloader scope (Nikon omega). I think the combination of a marginal scope and getting the crap kicked out of them on a muzzleloader was causing the issues.

Never shot the hornady sst but the xtp is accurate. Does anybody shoot those and have expansion issues with them? I haven't noticed a problem with them and am curious now on others opinions...

Never shot the hornady sst but the xtp is accurate. Does anybody shoot those and have expansion issues with them? I haven't noticed a problem with them and am curious now on others opinions...

My dad, brother and I shot xtp's for probably 12 years. Killed a lot of deer but also lost more deer than we should have due to lack of blood or marginal bullet performance. Our biggest reason for getting away from them was issues with having flyers. They would shoot okay and then there would be a flyer. Didn't give us a lot of confidence.

The hornady xtp and sst are tack drivers but I never had a good blood trail. I shoot barnes tmz 250 grain out my cva accura V2 and it is a tack driver. I am going to switch to the 290 grain next year as I only have 3 left.

For the comment about needing to sight in gun a little bit each year with triple 7 pellets it seems to be the case with just about everyone I know. I personally believe the stuff gets old and pellets from last year won't shoot quite the same as brand new. That seems to be the case.

I switched to Blackhorn 209 3 or 4 years ago and really like it. I shot my gun Monday with powder that was 3 or 4 years old sitting in my garage and shot the same as when I left it.

For the comment about needing to sight in gun a little bit each year with triple 7 pellets it seems to be the case with just about everyone I know. I personally believe the stuff gets old and pellets from last year won't shoot quite the same as brand new. That seems to be the case.

Very good point! Or troubles were always when we were sitting pyrodex.

Those Barnes ML bullets are phenomenal. You're missing out if you don't at least try them! Here you can see how the bullet opened just inside the skin on that front shoulder. Notice the small bullet hole on the skin vs the huge wound in the shoulder. Those 6 pedals you get when the bullet open are sharp and just eat up whatever game you shoot.
IMG_0447_zps6yw0u3rj.jpg

IMG_0448_zpst8kpwn3a.jpg

IMG_0449_zps8pq7tg2w.jpg

Top Bottom