Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you think??

NWBuck

PMA Member
With bow opener coming up on Sunday, I thought I'd throw out an "opinion getter". How many of you hunt mornings in the very early part of the bow season? With deer still in their summer feeding pattern, staying out of the woods in the morning has become a popular opinion around here. The philosophy goes like this: Deer are not going to cruise through their core areas all night like they might later in the season. Therefore, they will be in their bedding areas well before first light, increasing the odds you will spook that big buck and maybe ruin a stand location for later in the season.

By late October and through November, I'll take a morning stand over an evening stand anytime, but I guess I'm swinging the other way during the early October time. Maybe it's a good excuse to go goose hunting Sunday morning! What do you think??

Great topic NWBuck and I couldn't agree more on your thought process for early season hunting! When I think back to my early days/early season hunting it's a wonder I ever saw anything in my area.

Don't you think alot of the reason for running to our tree stands on opening day is anxiety?

Don't get me wrong, anything can happen bowhunting and it has happened in Iowa. Those of us that scout all year have a few bucks patterned and have a chance the first couple of weeks of a decent shot. I have heard of combines pushing bucks to hunters and even hunters ambushing bucks at waters holes.

The variables are endless with bowhunting whitetail deer but to me your thoughts make as much sense as anything I have heard, again depending on the area you hunt and the effort you have put into scouting off season.

tlhs.jpg

PS, good chance on 10/1/00 my partner and I will be sitting in a cornfield waiting for the big one to walk past.

Top Bottom