Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

what to do with your old artificial christmas tree

J

jdavis

This might sound crazy, but I've collected several fake christmas trees this winter and am planning on using the branches on some of my hang on stands for cover. I've seen the ones on the market for sale and don't know why fake christmas tree branches won't work! MY wife thinks I'm crazy, What do you think??????????
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Re: what to do with your old artifical christmas tree

i bet that would work great, or you could make a heck of a blind out of them
smile.gif

I'm with your wife on this one! Just make sure you get the tinsel off. I would be worried about the glare off the plastic. Why don't you prune some branches in your area and use them? At least if you run into another hunter they won't laugh their a$$ off at you, kidding. Let us know how it works.
Hunt on All4s

I thought about that and took it outside..no glare. I even took it to the timber and it is really good cover! I've done dumber things in the woods!
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

That's a great idea. I know of some others that do the same thing with their old artificials. Some day I will use mine for the same. I have some places that I could really use them.

I really don't think that will work . . . you won't have any place to plug in the lights.
grin.gif

I admit I bought one on clearance last year with the same hopes. Haven't used it yet but it should work
grin.gif

We've built a couple of ground blinds using hog panel fence with the artificial Christmas tree limbs woven in between. That provides the green... then weave in a few cedar or pine branhes that die and turn brown and you've got a beautiful camoflauge ground blind. A bolt cutter will then allow you to snip a few shooting lanes in the panel where you see fit. It will work great if you follow 3 simple rules: location, location, location
evil.gif

NWBuck

I've been hitting garage sales for about 3 years now looking for old artificial trees and have collected several for next to nothing. Like Nwbuck I use them mostly for building groung blinds. I also use the 12' hog fence panel, with the 6" square openings. I cut a couple of the openings out, bend the panel into a round shape with a door opening in the back and then attach the Christmas tree limbs to it by bending the end of the twisted wire in a hook and simply hang them on the panel. I mix in other brush and hand a piece of camo blind material over the door opening. Of course they are anything but mobile but I set them up in turkey struting areas and leave them year round. I shot my first Gobbler with a bow out of one this past spring and had numerous birds and deer less than 10 yards from the blind. It's also been a good place to take my niece and nephew for there annual deer hunting trips. I hope to get a double bull blind soon but these are a cheap way to build a blind.

I've also used the branches on ladder stands to help hide them.I attach them to the stand legs with cable ties. It really breaks up the outline.

Re: what to do with your old artificial christmas

...true story...an acquaintance of mine decided to try coyote calling on some ground in the Loess Hills...he camouflaged himself with artificial Christmas tree branches to look like the pines and cedars that were everywhere...for a call he hung a tape player from his neck and had tape of a deer in distress playing...it worked – almost too well...he said they came running in groups and just kept coming!...he quickly ran out of shells in his rifle and they were still coming!...he tried to reload but his excitement and being dressed up as a Christmas tree made it tough...he then started to get nervous and began ripping the tree branches from himself and throwing them at the coyotes...it must have just added to the illusion of a deer in trouble as he said more coyotes showed up and the ones near him got more interested...the excitement ended when he finally remembered to shut the tape player off and the coyotes slowly disappeared...he hasn’t been coyote hunting since!...sorry this is a little
offtopic.gif

Re: what to do with your old artificial christmas

as if i wasn't tempted to try this out enough...hershey's post just sent me over the edge
biggun.gif
sniper.gif
flame.jpg
&^rocket
rambo.gif
2guns.gif
bad doggy, stay away!! ha ha ha ha

Top Bottom