Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What would you do ????

strutnrut

I have a guy that lease's a few acres next to the ground that I own and I have had a few issues with him in the past. His stand is about 10 yards from the fence and a couple of weeks ago I was shed hunting and found a arrow with a broadhead stuck in the ground about 20 yards on my side of the fence... He runs everyone off his little piece but them his is willing to shoot across the fence.. I cant wait till I see him and tell him what I think. What would you do??????

I don't personally have an issue with stands close to fences- crossings can be great stand sites. But if he's shooting at deer on the wrong side of the fence without permission that shows what his morals are. I don't think getting into a pissing match with him is going to tell you anything about him that you don't already know or probably do any good. I'd just wait until you catch him on your side of the fence.

I had this happen, a stand right next to a fence. When I found a headless deer on my side, I went and talked to the landowner. The stand wasn't there the next season. Funny thing was he blamed me for the poached deer when he admitted his tenants had the rack. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

this might be wierd to say, but maybe go talk to him and agree to shoot over eachother's fences, not set up stands across borders, but just shoot across fences. who knows, maybe you could find a killer spot and shoot your best deer ever over his fence???

just an idea

i always ask if I can shoot over the fence, most of the time its only a cattle pasture or an open field though, not another hunting property and I always get a " SHOOT EM ALL " from the farmers.. haha If it was another property that held deer I would most likely just move my stand to a more nuetral position, there is always more than one good spot on a farm.

One exception, I found two ladder stands last year on trees that were grown into fence line (pointin at our timber) and most the deer were coming out of our property to enter this small vacant 40 acre cattle pasture to cross into an outfittin property daily. Since they had the game plan right, so did we, my buddy had a mexican standoff with a guy one afternoon sitting 20 yards apart, but my buddy got the first take at everything. He passed a couple dinks and so did the other guy but when my buddy smoked a doe, he got up a left. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Two days later, the stands were moved to the other side of the pasture

My opinion, have a discussion.

If he has shooting lanes cut, pretty obvious and shooting across is illegal. I'd go the nice route 1st and see if you 2 can agree to stay off fences at least 50 yards. If that doesn't work you have several options 1)showing arrow to DNR- stuck in ground and showing DNR his stands, considering the new law on this 2) putting a stand on your side of the fence next to his. 3)talking to landowner he leases from. There's plenty more ways to make him change his mind that are very fair, legal and effective. I sure would try and have a reasonable conversation 1st and then get aggressive if that doesn't work. My 2 cents.

I have a property I hunt the fence line on,which the deer like to walk parallel with.The landowner next door hates deer hunters and has made it clear to stay off his land.I sit 15 yards off the fence, but facing it.I have 2 arrows on his land that both killed deer.One I can see,the other I can not.Did I shoot any deer on his land?Never,I don't want to lose the rights to this property.Never assume you know what happened.Both arrows were pass throughs on deer that were walking the fence on my side.After which they hit the fence and ended up on his land.The one I can see is 5yds off the fence,stuck in the ground.It is not worth retreiving and pissing the guy off.Just a story to think about.

I'd at least have to ask him if it was his arrow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif That might be enough said.

There's a guy that has permission to hunt tillable ground that joins up against my inlaws timber. There are only a handfull of small trees on his side of the fence, so he puts his stand in one of them 6" off the fence. Basically the only reason for him being there is to hunt my inlaws timber without technically being on their ground. I have a stand about 60 yards inside the timber from where he put his. I'd like to talk to him, but he never shows up when I'm there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Not sure, but maybe it's because I started parking my truck in the spot he likes to park. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom