Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's the biggest threat to the future of deer hunting in Iowa?

Earnhardt

With all the different threads we've seen lately, what do you guys think is the biggest threat to the future of deer hunting in Iowa?

1) Non-resident hunters and the proposal to double the amount of NR deer tags from 6,000 to 12,000?

2) The commercialization of hunting? With commercialization I mean, magazines and TV shows showing everyone in the USA that the best place to shoot big deer is in Iowa. The glorification of Iowa's deer antlers on TV and in print. That in turn leads to more Outfitters and increased land prices.

3) Trespassing and Poaching? Whether it's posted pictures of people trespassing, shots heard in the dead of the night, or chasing deer with pick-ups, CB radios and high powers.

You can pick one and elaborate on your choice, or you can place them in order of biggest threat to least threatening. ie. 3, 1, 2.

Last edited:
2...Less places to hunt for some, not everyone can buy their own farm and it is becoming more and more a sport of the rich.

In Iowa I would say #3 (trespassing/poaching). It happens in MN as well, but really is common in Iowa.

Access, or lack of it ,which is a direct result of the desire for big antlers . I'm as guilty as anyone.
All these problems boil down to access. If it were not for big bucks, access would be a non issue. imo

I would say number 2.The commercialization of hunting gets a lot fo people intereseted in it and is driving up prices of everything hunting related: bows, land, clothing, etc. Also, with commericalization comes hunting shows on tv and magazines that all point out that the midwest is the place to be for deer hunting, and I'd say Iowa gets a lot more media attention than a lot of states........which therefore leads to number 1.
Poaching and tresspassing, 3, has gone on forever and probably always will. I think its just how popular hunting is becoming that tresspassing and poaching are starting to really get noticed and looked down upon more than it has in the past.

number 2 in my opinion these people that we see on tv that have thousands of acres to hunt and manage are hunting in disneyworld and have spread a cancer amongst most of us. I miss the days when I would get excited about shooting a 125 buck and not giving a damn about how old he was or what he would do in two years or what other hunters would say or think. Seems like we don't get excited now unless it's 170 or better and in all reality there are not that many giant bucks running around out there on places that the average guy can hunt. I passed on a lot of bucks this year thinking that a bigger one would step out or worrying what other people would think like it's a competition and it's not and it was stupid because there is another hunting season gone from my life that I will not get back. I told myself no more hunting shows I'm not Lee lakosky or one of the Drurys never will be, enjoy what I have and get some enjoyment out of it

number 2 in my opinion these people that we see on tv that have thousands of acres to hunt and manage are hunting in disneyworld and have spread a cancer amongst most of us. I miss the days when I would get excited about shooting a 125 buck and not giving a damn about how old he was or what he would do in two years or what other hunters would say or think. Seems like we don't get excited now unless it's 170 or better and in all reality there are not that many giant bucks running around out there on places that the average guy can hunt. I passed on a lot of bucks this year thinking that a bigger one would step out or worrying what other people would think like it's a competition and it's not and it was stupid because there is another hunting season gone from my life that I will not get back. I told myself no more hunting shows I'm not Lee lakosky or one of the Drurys never will be, enjoy what I have and get some enjoyment out of it

Outstanding post!! :way: Somewhere we lost the fun! Use to be something to kill a animal with a bow&arrow! Now it's gotta make a book!! Sad!!!!

Come on you guys are agreeing with me but not saying #4.

Its sad but true it fuels 1-3

#5 is great but not if they are getting taught that big antlers is what its all about.

I'm the wife of a bow hunter and my husband did the same thing. His love of hunting was almost overshadowed by the worry about whether to shoot a buck for fear it was too small, young, or the antlers weren't pretty enough. He kept thinking that maybe something older and bigger would come along and he would have already used his buck tag. Nuff said, I was reading these posts over my husband's shoulder and felt compelled to put my 2 cents worth in. Have a good day, everyone.

#4 mines bigger than yours is way to prevelent.

Deer hunting is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, not an all consuming obbsession. How many people would still hunt if all you could shoot were does and spikes?

Top Bottom