Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When It Rains It Pours

CurtisWalker

When I texted Nate this morning about me putting another tom down he replied “when it rains it pours” and that summed up the hunt perfect. I went and hunted a buddy’s farm for the second time ever when I pull in I check the radar because I knew rain was coming at some point. Well it said rain would arrive about 30 minutes after fly down so I was kind of lazy and didn’t go far from to set the blind up. Well two toms fire off maybe 100 yards away up in the tree and I just had out a jake decoy. I watched them fly down and let out a yelp and they came straight on a string and that’s when I see a hen cut across between us and I watch them follow her up over the hill. So I wait awhile to see if they may come back. An hour passed and still no rain so I decide to just take the decoy and go sit in a cedar tree like a guy I watch on YouTube. Not long after getting sat down I see a hen run towards me. Then I see another turkey. It’s a jake. I’m sitting there deciding whether or not I should shoot him and I hear what sounds like a distant gobble. The rain starts falling and I look in the direction of the gobble to see this guy coming in hot to the decoy from across the field. He comes right in and struts for just a second before flogging the decoy. I got the opportunity and took the shot.

3684970bdb95a5e9c45e0d436f1cb660.jpg

24 lbs 12 oz, 12” beard, 1.25” spurs. Score: 73.75 (This will be my contest entry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great bird, congrats! Just before a storm hits can be an excellent time to bag a particularly older bird. I have seen it many times throughout the years.

Top Bottom