Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where to bowfish?

deerhunter93

I live in central iowa, right next to saylorville lake. I know people usually dont like giving out there special places but does anyone know of some decent bowfishing spots? I can take a boat so that is an option. Send me a PM if you want. Thanks!

When the river floods up into the willows of the des moines river valley it is dynamite. You can shoot fish all day long. I have also shot tons of fish in Saylorville lake where the river dumps into the lake. All those little island areas are pretty shallow and full of carp. Goodluck

ya, you should be able to find lots of places to shoot carp right now! when the water is high, they will follow the water and end up getting trapped once the water recedes. but once we get back to normal all of these lakes that have spillways can be dynamite. or, get out in a boat and look for carp sunning themselves in the shallows, sneak up and stick em!

So you fellas are saying that carp can be stuck at Saylorville. If I was to comence to flingin arrows where would be a good place to go on Saylorville?

Moose, just head to the farthest North West part of the lake where the River dumps into the reservoir. There is a bunch of islands etc that have narrow chutes that the carp like to run. I would imagine the river is up so maybe they are under water. If that is the case, keep heading up river and go under neath the hwy 17 bridge. Look for any spot that is flooded with shallow water. They will be in there by the hundreds. We used to gig and shoot carp all day long under those conditions.

Just be careful when running your boat towards that end of the lake. It's very shallow to begin with. I would imagine it is up a bit though.

any luck?

I live in central iowa, right next to saylorville lake. I know people usually dont like giving out there special places but does anyone know of some decent bowfishing spots? I can take a boat so that is an option. Send me a PM if you want. Thanks!

Im just getting into bowfishing this year, and live by salorville and was wondering if you had any luck and where you ended up going...

Top Bottom