Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

White pine plantation with bark beetles killing trees

Does anyone have experience controlling bark beetles once they have become established in a stand of pines? I have a white pine plantation that is 12 years old and I began losing trees to these bark beetles. Cutting down dead trees and burning them is one remedy. Does spraying an insecticide help In the spring?

That sucks!! I'd call your county Forester to start. I'm sure there are some options. systemic insecticides MIGHT be possible??? I know folks have dealt with similar here with things like Ash trees and the borer. Good luck. I'm sure some others will know more. Not much for pines around me. Guys up N will sure know more.

Thanks Sligh. Yes it sucks. A guy puts all the work into planting and caring for the trees, to have a little bug come along and kill them. Will have to contact the forester for additional info.

Stupid question.... Can a guy insure himself against any if these types of things? Bugs, mother nature, etc? Just curious.

To the best of my knowledge, your best insurance is to go with what nature has already selected for most of Iowa... plant cedars. At least until a new pestilence or plague comes along and starts killing those.

I'm talking more business related or money type things... say a guy invested in future Christmas tree farm planting or guy buys 1,000 acres of timber because of future walnut value.... was just curious if you could insure these things... yeah dumb question... might need the answer for habitat jeopardy though! ;)

Top Bottom