Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wild plant ID

nontyp

Hey guys, does anyone know what the little woody shrub with red starchy berries is that grows all over in the timber? Im pretty good with plant ID generally but i’m struggling to ID this one. No, i’m not talking about honeysuckle. This is a 2-3 ft tall plant. The reason I ask is that I always see deer browsing these plants in the Fall but have never heard anyone discuss them. I’ll post a pic later if I get a chance

Do you mean PokeWeed? Seems to really have gotten thicker and popped up in a lot more areas in just the last 2-3 years

nope...not poke weed. i do see that a lot hunting in Kansas but I believe it is extremely toxic.

Sure looks like Honeysuckle to me. There's several varieties of it out there. Heck, I could be wrong but sure looks like it to me. & seeing that in the past, I always saw deer nibbling on it too.

nope...not poke weed. i do see that a lot hunting in Kansas but I believe it is extremely toxic.

Yeah, was told and read that it was toxic. Must not be too toxic as last year at 1 area of a plot that got fairly thick with it and the deer pounded it. Didn't see any dead ones or find the runs all over the timber so I think it may not be that toxic.

Yeah, was told and read that it was toxic. Must not be too toxic as last year at 1 area of a plot that got fairly thick with it and the deer pounded it. Didn't see any dead ones or find the runs all over the timber so I think it may not be that toxic.
I've seen deer pounding it for years. Maybe the berries are what they referring to?
My only other guess was Caprifoliaceae but I looks like yall nailed it (and heck, I think my last guess is still really just honeysuckle too & I think a higher class with all the varieties under it so you guys are dead on) ;).
A type of honeysuckle variety (I actually don't ever think I heard of Buckbrush or buckbush but good to know for sure!!!) and if you said it's native, that's good news... Cause, I've seen a lot of it in the past!!! :) Thx for update, one less thing I can worry about for invasives. Trying to keep up with Multiflora rose, thistles, Lesperdeza, prickly ash, black locus, chinese elm, etc, etc, etc.

Top Bottom