Wind and the rut and the bucks.

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by moosehunter, Nov 9, 2015.

1. moosehunter

moosehunter PMA Member

Seems like every year during the rut I have had bucks seemingly pay no attention to my down wind scent. I know it's there but they seem to not care at all. This doesn't happen all the time but I have noticed it enough to make me think about it. Because of the does, I still try to hunt a stand with the wind in my favor, but with bucks cruising they could be coming from opposite of where they normally come from. With all that said, I would rather take a chance and hunt an iffy stand wind wise if I know that stand is active.

Sometimes it's worth the risk............

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Ishi

Ishi Waiting For October

That's called aggressive hunting and it works very well. When November rolls around thats the only way I hunt. In October I let them come to me in November I go to them.

4. kazbass

kazbass Member

Wind is real bad for my stand today. I went anyway. Every deer came from different directions.. So unpredictable now. Just gotta be out there I guess..

5. bradley

bradley triplebeam

Last night doe hunting had my #2 buck come in from down wind side could have shot it but already filled my tag.Just hunt your best stands!

6. isu22andy

isu22andy Active Member

My buck also came from down wind, I do not know how he didnt smell me . Noticing the same, even with does a little bit.

7. msauer933

msauer933 Active Member

Haven't seen a mature buck yet so can speak to that. I do have an old doe that I need to shoot. Seems like wherever I'm at she finds me and blows for an hour!