Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yellow River trout fishing

Benelliblaster

Well this spring, the gal and I are takin a trip to the yellow river for a weekend and im lookin to do some fly fishin. Any tips on cabins or what streams to hit? Thanks

Little paint and Big paint is where I do most my fishing. Nice campgrounds, and a lot of good pools. Pretty tight space for fly fishing though. I would recommend the turkey river down by Big Springs Rearing Station for a fly rod. Dont ever see many others there. I think Bloody Run is good also for fly rods if I remember correctly. A lot of the streams are small and dont have much room for fly rods, but I have seen people use them. Get yourself one of those trout fishing maps that the DNR puts out. They have about everything you would want to know in them.:way:

We go to Waterloo creek,its one of the bigger ones,right on the border of Minn and Iowa, there are some big browns in it and the last time we hit it the dnr threw one of the brutes in one of the big holes!! It was like 30 inches long,i had it on the line then it snapped but overall great creek we got up there 4-5 times a year,also try trout river its in between decorah and waukon

Waterloo, Patterson, N and S Bear would all be good for fly fishing. You'll find places on Paint too.

Thanks for the all the help. Never been up that way. Been fly fishin for a few years now and have mainly done it for largemouth and some smallies on the river. I think tent campin is out of the question (girlfriend). But shes been lookin at some cabins. Super excited. Thanks again.

If you can roll cast, you can fly fish just about any tight stream. You don't always have to get a 30' cast. I've had trout hit 3 feet in front of me on a less than 10' cast. Good luck!

If you can roll cast, you can fly fish just about any tight stream. You don't always have to get a 30' cast. I've had trout hit 3 feet in front of me on a less than 10' cast. Good luck!

Thanks! I bet theres some great trout fishin in AZ. would love to get out west.

Check out the highlandville cabins or pine creek cabins. Proably booked but never know. There are LOTS of streams up this way. Just get a DNR map and you can hit one stream after another. Great fishing all year long. Good luck

Look up Andy Mountain Cabins or The Natural Gait, they are in and around the yellow river state forest, just down the road from my cabin! I've never trout fished lil paint, but get a kick out of driving through the streams!

We enjoyed staying at the natural gait (before we bought). If u stayed at the lower gait it would give you the option of fishing the yellow river also. Fair warning, I don't think they have tv's!

Top Bottom