Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Early Muzzleloader

Gundog

PMA Member
Youth season came and went with no sightings of anything over 1 1/2. So my boy turned his attention to taking his first deer with a bow. We have been a handful of times but until recently it has been pretty warm down here so we had not seen much.

I had to work all day Saturday and asked the boy if he wanted to change things up on Sunday since it was early muzzleloader season.

He wasn’t all that interested until I told him he could get a bow tag if we happened to be successful. Once I said that, he was all in to take the muzzy out.

Now it was in me to come up with a place that might hold a decent buck with a NE wind. I settled on a pond damn that was surrounded by standing corn on 3 sides.

We bumped 3 does laying on the pond damn going in but they didn’t blow out so I thought we would be ok. We tucked into some grass by 4 pm and at 5:15 this buck came out of the corn on the other side of the corn at a little over 200 yards. Due to the grass we could only see his head and neck.

He moved away to about 260 yards when a doe came to the pond to get a drink. He decided he better come take a look. When he arrived to where she got a drink, the boy said he was going to take him. I whispered to let him get broadside. About that time he turned to wind the doe and the gun went off. Right through the shoulder taking off the top of the heart at 160 yards (he shoots this gun all the time).

The buck ran about 15 feet and got the wobbly legs and it was over. The first picture I call the look you have when you realize you killed your first droptine buck.

Good luck to everyone this year!
b59177f1fb544566a0f7f0ac839d46eb.jpg

3c951120b2c580e8baa562ace434956c.jpg

f322aee18453b73af590b41f68307df3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by FurDog
  • Reason: sent blank
Show…
Awesome!! Congrats to your boy on a dandy!! Hope he’s hooked hard on hunting! Bet he is ;)

Top Bottom