Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season success

ISHEDHUNT

Life Member
This hunt actually started in December of last year, I took my son and step son out with my fiance' and although Aaron shot a big doe she got on the neighbors property and their hunting party claimed her. Aaron was bummed to say the least and I told him we would make sure we got it done in youth season the next year. We spent the summer practicing with the Pro Hunter and he was confident he could smoke one if he got the chance. Fast forward to September 20th 2008.

My son Aaron and I headed for Southwestern Iowa to hunt with good friends Brian and Mark. We were set up on a field over looking a good sized clover field where they had several trail cam photos of great bucks coming and going.

We sat till around 10 AM and we had only one encounter with a mature doe who was spooked off the clover plot before we could even size her up. We head to town for a bite to eat and then back to Brians to wait for an afternoon hunt.

We make it back into the blind around 3:30 and before we know it I spot a doe milling around just inside the tree line about 40 yards away. She would appear and look hard at the blind and then slip back into the woods. After about an hour of this tactic she finally appeared but wouldn't take her eyes off the blind for more than a second or two. She finally makes her way away from us and skirts the edge of the food plot. We lose sight of her and figure she has feed off out of the area. Then about 6 we see a fawn in the middle of the food plot and then catch the doe headed back up the edge and she disappears into the woods again. About 15 minutes later she is out again and headed right toward the blind. We are trying to be as quiet as we can and she knows something isn't right. She hangs up at about 10 yards. With her looking at the blind Aaron has no chance of bringing the gun up and getting on her. She finally tries sneaking in behind the blind. That obviously doesn't satisfy her so she comes back out and trots right past the blind at about 20 yards, still no way to slip the gun out of the blind for a shot. She ends up about 5 yards from the blind just standing and stomping her foot.

It's at this point that Aaron decides he wants to shoot her. We now just have to wait for the right time to get on her. She finally heads back for the woods to the South. She is on a course which is taking her further out into the food plot. Aaron gets the gun out the blind and she starts to pick up the pace. He says he is on her but she is still moving. I whistle and she comes to a stop about 75-80 yards away. Aaron dumped her in her tracks! After some much earned congrats from Brian and I we head out to look at his trophy.

It's his first deer and I can say he is hooked. He wanted to know when he could get into the tree and start chasing Donkey. October 1st can't get here soon enough for him.

Once again our thanks go out to Brain and Mark for having us down!

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

Chris

Nice story. You have no idea how much I look forward to both of my son's first deer. Having them help me retrieve yesterday meant alot to me.

Nice job pops....and the kind hosts.

Congrats to each of you on a great hunt. I like the photos, and the smiles speak for themselves. Job well done.

Way to go Aaron....looks like your in some good company with your guides! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom