Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season

NWBuck

PMA Member
Anyone heard of or seen results from this weekend's youth season? Up here in NW Iowa I know of several bucks taken - one 8 pointer that will reportedly go in the 130+ range. Hopefully a few more youngsters are hooked for life!

I am not a big fan of this season. I hear of it getting abused more that any other. Just another excuse for someone to buy their child a tag and shoot it for them. As a matter of fact, a particular game warden around these parts (last year) sighted the deer in thru the scope, held the gun, and his son just pulled the trigger. What kind of example does this set for the child?! Anyhow, I think they should send this season to the crapper!

Hey Swanny. Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. I can't argue that this season gets abused by some but I personally know many people who have taken their son/daughter out & helped them get their first deer during this low key season. I think in this case the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I can't wait until my children are old enough to participate so I can help them experience their first deer hunt and hopefully their first kill. I think this is one case where we don't penalize the majority because of the few that abuse the system. Just my opinion. Maggs

Ditto Maggs. No doubt there are a few abusers, but around here it is a great chance for parents (or other adult friends/relatives) to help a youngster get their deer. When I think back to my dad taking me deer hunting when I was 11 and 12, I am humbled by the thought that he spent most (maybe all) of his 1st season shotgun weekend helping me and not hunting much for himself. With the addition of this season a dad can focus entirely on their son or daughter while still having the opportunity to enjoy their own hunt later in the season. I applaud the DNR not only for youth deer season, but for youth pheasant and duck as well. A great idea, and like Maggs, I can't wait to take my kids in a few years. Thanks.

Oh by the way, a P.S. to the Youth Season topic. I heard of (but didn't actually see) a youngster up here in NW Iowa who bagged a dandy 8-pointer Saturday morning that still had some velvet. Isn't this really late? Maybe someone will have seen the same thing elsewhere.

I understand your points, but I see it abused around here more than the way it should be used. I hear guys at work getting em for their kids and then shooting the deer themselves too......I see your point, but it IS the most abused season!

ps...I never said abolish it, I said I am not a big fan of it.

10-4 Swanny...no offense taken. If I'd seen the type of abuse of this season that you have, I'm sure I'd feel the same way. Good hunting!

I'm from South Dakota but have enjoyed reading this conference for several years. This is one of the few conferences you can ask a question and get an informative response and not have someone tear you apart because they don't share your same ideas. Back to the youth season, one way to put a damper on the abuses is to have your youth season like South Dakota's. Our's is an antlerless season. If your main interest is to get kids involved in deer hunting and to give them a chance to get their first deer, it doesn't seem to me that it's necessary they take a buck, that can come later when the parents are ready to have them hunt the regular season. My son took his first deer last year, a 140lb doe, you would have thought it was the next world record by the smiles on his and my faces. Just a thought for you to mull over. Once again thanks for letting an out of stater enjoy a great website.
Darrel

antletrs,

What a great idea! Hopefully the DNR personnel will read this and give it serious thought. The idea of an "anterless only" tag would eliminate the motivation for abuse and yet let kids hunt in a much less hectic environment. Thanks for the input.

PS. How's the pheasant hunting is SD looking this fall ??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by antlers:
I'm from South Dakota but have enjoyed reading this conference for several years. This is one of the few conferences you can ask a question and get an informative response and not have someone tear you apart because they don't share your same ideas. Back to the youth season, one way to put a damper on the abuses is to have your youth season like South Dakota's. Our's is an antlerless season. If your main interest is to get kids involved in deer hunting and to give them a chance to get their first deer, it doesn't seem to me that it's necessary they take a buck, that can come later when the parents are ready to have them hunt the regular season. My son took his first deer last year, a 140lb doe, you would have thought it was the next world record by the smiles on his and my faces. Just a thought for you to mull over. Once again thanks for letting an out of stater enjoy a great website.
Darrel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more!!! I took my son during youth season and I, too, had to help him by steadying the gun so that he could shoot as he is just a little tike (12) and the shotgun was terribly heavy for him. He, however, aimed the gun as the gun had a scope through which he had to look through and he pulled the trigger. Even though he got a deer, which was an added plus, the quality time we spent together was priceless. Unfortunately, there is abuse, but then again, I've heard of persons purchasing extra tags for their wives who do not hunt - so it's just not the youth season being abused. Some of them just have to spoil it for the rest, don't they? I personally feel it is much safer in the outdoors during youth season due to a lot less hunting pressure. Some people get careless when it comes to hunting and every year you hear numerous tragic stories of hunting accidents around the country, especially during the shotgun season, so I appreciate the fact Iowa does have a youth season where I can take my son out without fear of being injured or killed.

My 14 year old son shot a year and a half 8 pointer during the youth season. This was his first antlered deer, and his 6th deer overall. 3 with a bow, and 3 with a shotgun.
I gave him a choice to either hunt youth shotgun or regular shotgun, along with his bow lic. (And by the way, a youth may hunt the youth season, and one other season.)

He chose the youth season, I think because he and I can go out several times, and not be rushed, or crowded.

He was not interested in shooting a doe or fawn, and passed on 15 before shooting this buck on the last day we were going to hunt. He told me he was not even going to shoot a doe on the last day. He says it would be too easy and not a challenge. He just doesn't know the quality of his guide.

We appreciate the youth season as it is now. My 12 year old says next year he will be ready, we'll see.

Sorry, one more thing. By the age of 12-15 a child is sharp enough to know what's going on. Anyone who would take a kid hunting as a cover for poaching a deer has prabably already done more damage to that child's feelings of self worth than all the poaching he could do in a lifetime. Pity the man, and pity the child.

Top Bottom