Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth shotgun suggestions

muddy

All 3 of my kids want to turkey hunt so I'm scrambling to get a kid 20 gauge ready. Looked at the 870 youth and that combo Mossberg. Thoughts either way?

If you have one for sale let me know!

Handled both and both work great. Grew up using an 870 youth 20 so thats where my preference is but took a kid out with the youth Mossberg that worked great and seemed to be solid as well.

Look at the 11-87 youth. Lot less recoil for not much more money. I considered the 870 and mossberg and shot both but decided on the 11-87. My nine year old has killed 2 does and turkey with it. Both boys 9 and 7 love shooting trap with it. I'm not worried about being a semi auto since I only put one in at a time. Very versatile little gun. Has removable choke tubes and has shims to add as they grow in length of pull. I put a scope on it for deer hunting and it shoots regular riffled slugs pretty dang good.

My boys started with a youth 870 20 ga that I still have. If you want to use it you are more than welcome. My youngest now has been shooting my sx3 when he gets a chance.
I've never been @ a youth 11-87 but sounds like a very viable option with its versitility.

I went through this a few years ago with my boys as I wanted to get them a youth 12 ga. for turkey hunting/trap shooting except after ALOT of research I found that they don't make a YOUTH 12 gauge! Everything I found was a 20. I ended up finding a 12 ga Rem. 870 express turkey edition where it had a 24" barrel. He still uses it today and has gotten to be a pretty good shot with it now. At age 13 he's shot his limit of pheasants while walking next to me in the field, shot ducks/geese field hunting in layout blinds, shoots trap all summer long with my dad (I think 18 is his personal best). My thoughts are why buy them a gun when they can only use it for a few years (youth stock) rather than buy them something they can use the rest of their life. He loves his gun!

Matt. I bought my kids a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge. I put a red dot on it and a full choke. We shoot 2 3/4 5 shot and it is one turkey killing machine! I can't believe how good it shoots out to 40 yards! They come with a certificate that when your kids out grow it you send it in and they will turn it into a 500. I think 50% off is the certificate.

Matt. I bought my kids a Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge. I put a red dot on it and a full choke. We shoot 2 3/4 5 shot and it is one turkey killing machine! I can't believe how good it shoots out to 40 yards! They come with a certificate that when your kids out grow it you send it in and they will turn it into a 500. I think 50% off is the certificate.

I couldn’t agree more. Have one in our safe getting saved for the next generation of our family. Owen has killed Turkey’s way out there with his and many pheasants. This gun is perfect for young or small framed kids.

My brother uses a Mossberg 930 combo semi-auto. Doesn't kick at all (Like it way better than my gun). Only thing is, it is pretty long. However, it is really light. One of the cheaper semi-auto combos you can find too.

Worth a look because if I were to get a new gun, it would be that one.

I felt better having my daughters shoot a pump so that if I didn't want them to shoot a 2nd time there wouldn't be a shell in barrel.I did use a Sims vibration recoil pad and my daughters shot them since they were 8.

Tough to beat the 870. I've got a "proven" youth model in the basement with the turkey choke installed and ready to roll. Just haven't found a youth to run it the last couple seasons. Not sure where you're located but your kids could try it out for the season if I could get it to ya.

A little late to the game, but I started my daughter on a Mossberg 500 Bantam 20ga when she was 9. The 870 and 11-87s were too heavy for her small frame, but the 500 bantam (20" barrel) is great. I found a smoking deal on a Weatherby SA-08 20ga a year ago and grabbed it for my son. Its a great light-weight semiauto 20ga. The only problem we had is that Weatherby says you have to shoot loads at 1300fps to get it to cycle. We had problems with standard quail/trap loads cycling until I saw that on their website and spoke with customer service. We got it through its 100-rd recommended break in cycle and it shoots great. It cycles his Hevi-Shot Magnum blend at 1200 fps with no problems.

As for youth 12 gauages, TriStar makes a youth 12 gauge. Its their Viper youth: http://www.tristararms.com/products/semi-automatic-shotguns/viper-g2-series/viper-g2-youth/ I'm trying to talk Sydney into stepping up into a 12ga now that she's way bigger and can almost handle a full-size shotgun.

Top Bottom