Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“The Land Podcast” link & Iowawhitetail discussion….

Listened to the podcast on my drive back from florida last week. I was shaking my head in agreement with you in regards to the future. Some friends were down there at the same time we were, and they are very large commercial real estate investors. In our conversations down there, they are holding $ right now to see what the next year / 2 hold. As much as I'd like to pick up more land right now, I know if I can't get it at what I want, I need to be patient. Especially since I to am hitting that 40 year old mark this year with wife and kids I've got to think about :)

I think rec land right now is still hot from folks pulling out the market with cash and they are buying what's available. But, once they have it invested, the lack of inventory may disappear and we will see farms sit longer on the market and reduce their price per acre in 12-18 months. Or, at least that's what I am hoping :)

thanks all! If all I did was help & encourage folks - mission accomplished.
A few fine points I wish I mentioned….
1) yes, I’ve done a lot but this also took me 30 years of doing it. Im not suggesting anyone do what I did. Maybe it’s for a few but probably not the scale most desire…. It came with a toll on body & time. It took sacrifice. I will admit- I’m glad some of it is behind me & I am glad I don’t have to repeat some of the grinding I did. Smaller scale or buying your 1st farm is something i love encouraging folks to do. Start with “40 acres”. No one needs to say “I need to buy 500 acres asap”. Take 1st step, don’t worry about what anyone else is doing - buy what makes sense & grow IF it makes sense. You are only “competing” with yourself. If you want to do a lot, you can. If u want to start small- you can. Sky is limit but never worry: “it’s too late, I can’t buy a big enough farm. Other people have more.” Etc- there’s always a way- period.

2) I didn’t do any of this “for the $”. Almost 0%. Some folks do it all for the $…. I did not. Or rather I’ll explain what I did & why…. $ was part of equation, no doubt. But- any $ I made after rebuilding a farm…. I just rolled into bigger farm. I didn’t do it so “I have lots of $. I want to spend it. I want to make a bunch of $”. NOT why I did it. All the $ ever made is now rolled into my home farms & tillable farms. Which is a Simple & hard working income of making $ off farming & income from farm. I rolled all these into farms & my income for life will be farm related. I could sell farms to “have a lot of $” but I never will. Don’t care about the $. Honestly don’t. Love the land & the land will NOT be sold…. Will be past down to further generations in a trust that has limits for kids & so on. $ is my last motive. Having a farm I love & is what I dreamt about since 10 years old is what my motive is.
Want to see others do same. & it will start with 20,40, 80 acres. Take the step when it’s right for you. Maybe you’re 60….. it’s NEVER too late!!!

thanks all! If all I did was help & encourage folks - mission accomplished.
A few fine points I wish I mentioned….
1) yes, I’ve done a lot but this also took me 30 years of doing it. Im not suggesting anyone do what I did. Maybe it’s for a few but probably not the scale most desire…. It came with a toll on body & time. It took sacrifice. I will admit- I’m glad some of it is behind me & I am glad I don’t have to repeat some of the grinding I did. Smaller scale or buying your 1st farm is something i love encouraging folks to do. Start with “40 acres”. No one needs to say “I need to buy 500 acres asap”. Take 1st step, don’t worry about what anyone else is doing - buy what makes sense & grow IF it makes sense. You are only “competing” with yourself. If you want to do a lot, you can. If u want to start small- you can. Sky is limit but never worry: “it’s too late, I can’t buy a big enough farm. Other people have more.” Etc- there’s always a way- period.

2) I didn’t do any of this “for the $”. Almost 0%. Some folks do it all for the $…. I did not. Or rather I’ll explain what I did & why…. $ was part of equation, no doubt. But- any $ I made after rebuilding a farm…. I just rolled into bigger farm. I didn’t do it so “I have lots of $. I want to spend it. I want to make a bunch of $”. NOT why I did it. All the $ ever made is now rolled into my home farms & tillable farms. Which is a Simple & hard working income of making $ off farming & income from farm. I rolled all these into farms & my income for life will be farm related. I could sell farms to “have a lot of $” but I never will. Don’t care about the $. Honestly don’t. Love the land & the land will NOT be sold…. Will be past down to further generations in a trust that has limits for kids & so on. $ is my last motive. Having a farm I love & is what I dreamt about since 10 years old is what my motive is.
Want to see others do same. & it will start with 20,40, 80 acres. Take the step when it’s right for you. Maybe you’re 60….. it’s NEVER too late!!!
Although not nearly to your massive scale, I followed a similar dream and where others said it could not be done, etc, I got it done and was very blessed and fortunate to be able to buy a good farm in a good neighborhood now almost 20 years ago.

I remember sitting in HS Study Hall and drawing maps of what I thought "my farm" would look like some day. With a dream and drive...a way can be still be found.

Just listened to your podcast Skip. Really cool stuff! I can relate to some of the things you talked about for sure and have spent the last 12 years since moving to IOWA learning and trying to put some great farms together. Unfortunately this part of west central Iowa I can’t envision, with the smaller blocks of timber, putting together a big contiguous tract where I can grow and hold 5+ yr old deer. To this point we have a 260, a 240, and a 125. My goal is one big contiguous tract in a better managed area in another part of the state. What are your thoughts on that? Rolling those 3 farms into one 5 or 600 acre contiguous piece or having multiple farms in close proximity? I’ve heard +‘s and -‘s to both.

Great podcast. Great message.

I agree, where there is a will, there is a way....in almost all things and cases. It boils down to how hard one is willing to work, discipline, and sacrifices. Way back when before farms I flipped houses. Lived on romen noodles and hotdogs to make it work to start.

Just listened to your podcast Skip. Really cool stuff! I can relate to some of the things you talked about for sure and have spent the last 12 years since moving to IOWA learning and trying to put some great farms together. Unfortunately this part of west central Iowa I can’t envision, with the smaller blocks of timber, putting together a big contiguous tract where I can grow and hold 5+ yr old deer. To this point we have a 260, a 240, and a 125. My goal is one big contiguous tract in a better managed area in another part of the state. What are your thoughts on that? Rolling those 3 farms into one 5 or 600 acre contiguous piece or having multiple farms in close proximity? I’ve heard +‘s and -‘s to both.
Western iowa is awesome!! Lots of fantastic hunting there. Long term- you can have mature bucks on any of those farms u listed. Several bucks 5+ IMO.
That’s such a good ? on one big one or several smaller. No right answer !!! I think most would say you will have more opportunities with 3 smaller vs 1 bigger. Me…, IMO…. I’d rather have the one bigger farm IF IF IF it’s the right killer big farm. Like- let’s say u had a 640 (square mile) with a ton of cover & u controlled the majority of that area and hunting…. I’d rather have that. So hard to find but that’s my preference. If you can’t ever find that large premo farm …. I’d rather have 3 great for size/area farms over one “good” farm. If that makes any sense.
If u really wanted a “killer big farm”….. just wait…. Have your smaller ones maxed out, fixed up & turn key. When you catch wind of a big farm u can buy…. Lock it up… sell the others to move into your big one.

Western iowa is awesome!! Lots of fantastic hunting there. Long term- you can have mature bucks on any of those farms u listed. Several bucks 5+ IMO.
That’s such a good ? on one big one or several smaller. No right answer !!! I think most would say you will have more opportunities with 3 smaller vs 1 bigger. Me…, IMO…. I’d rather have the one bigger farm IF IF IF it’s the right killer big farm. Like- let’s say u had a 640 (square mile) with a ton of cover & u controlled the majority of that area and hunting…. I’d rather have that. So hard to find but that’s my preference. If you can’t ever find that large premo farm …. I’d rather have 3 great for size/area farms over one “good” farm. If that makes any sense.
If u really wanted a “killer big farm”….. just wait…. Have your smaller ones maxed out, fixed up & turn key. When you catch wind of a big farm u can buy…. Lock it up… sell the others to move into your big one.
Thanks Skip that’s the plan when the market settles down some for sure! I just can’t justify paying 6k an acre for a cattle farm or one paying $125 an acre cash rent. Something has got to give!

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Top Bottom