Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“The Land Podcast” link & Iowawhitetail discussion….

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Listened to a lot of these since discovering. Jake & guests do a really nice job!! I was on the last week’s episode. A lot of folks better than me but welcome to give a listen ….. towards the end I was able to talk about iowawhitetail….

On Spotify, iTunes, apple podcast, etc. “The land podcast - the pursuit of land ownership ” with Jake Hofer.

https://linktr.ee/TheLandPodcast

Really interesting listening to your story Skip, thanks a bunch for sharing. I shared it with my 20yr old son too who might be more obsessed with deer hunting/the outdoors than I was when I was his age which I didn’t think was possible. If you end up doing another segment like you guys talked about in the podcast please post that one as well. Lots of inspiration there for every person with dreams of owning land but especially the younger folks like my son. I loved how you didn’t hesitate when he asked you if you still thought it could be done if you were 22 again. I tend to agree although it feels a bit tougher to find those “deals” anymore as the average landowner/realtor has become more educated. Especially with regards to timber value.

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast! In regards to those "deals", would you say you find most of your purchases through word of mouth/hunting for deals or through agents?

And that question is for anyone who has bought and sold some farms. As someone who is actively looking right now, its hard sledding and most of the agents I've talked with are just saying not much is coming up right now.

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast! In regards to those "deals", would you say you find most of your purchases through word of mouth/hunting for deals or through agents?

And that question is for anyone who has bought and sold some farms. As someone who is actively looking right now, its hard sledding and most of the agents I've talked with are just saying not much is coming up right now.
Just wrote this out.... For me it's been 55,% private, 45% listed last 7 years. That dynamic has changed dramatically and not sustainable numbers.
Best deal I ever bought was litterally at a bar on a napkin. True story.

Toughest market in long time. Still can be done. I’d be along lines of rob above…. Maybe 60% private deals (word of mouth) & 40% realtors.
U will find what u want. Patience is going to be your best friend if you are able. Mid summer maybe find more farm deals as that’s a slower time of year. Who knows how this shakes out BUT…. I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now we all say “wow, things slowed down, better deals now”. Maybe, maybe not. But very possible.

I haven't listened to it yet (to long) but will soon. I'm sure it's good stuff.

When did "whitetail properties " become whitetail trophy properties "?

Skip would you say that in general the 60% that were private were on average better deals than the 40% when there’s an agent involved or not necessarily?

Good topic...Don't you guys agree that the best hunting farms sell by word of mouth? I have bought all my Midwest farms by word of mouth. I also sold a top notch hunting farm recently and the first person I told bought it immediately. Usually a neighbor buys it.

Good topic...Don't you guys agree that the best hunting farms sell by word of mouth? I have bought all my Midwest farms by word of mouth. I also sold a top notch hunting farm recently and the first person I told bought it immediately. Usually a neighbor buys it.
I don’t feel like I have enough experience to really answer your question but I will say in my limited experience one of the farms I have along with 2 of the adjoining farms all sold through brokers recently and are all very good hunting farms fwiw.
Out of curiosity what prompted you to sell? What part of IL? I have farms near Galesburg area. Always looking for top notch hunting farms!

I don’t feel like I have enough experience to really answer your question but I will say in my limited experience one of the farms I have along with 2 of the adjoining farms all sold through brokers recently and are all very good hunting farms fwiw.
Out of curiosity what prompted you to sell? What part of IL? I have farms near Galesburg area. Always looking for top notch hunting farms!
I sold that farm to add another parcel next to a another farm I owned. It's in West Central Illinois and there are some very wealthy landowners in the area always looking to buy great hunting farms. Maybe that's why the best farms around there sell by word of mouth.

That was great, I love skips story. I always looked at land purchases as long term lifetime buys. I wish I'd of had the foresight at that age to buy less desirable farms with the goal of improving and leveraging them to buy more.

I have always respected you Skip…but more so now knowing you worked at Walmart !!

Also how much free publicity did Edward Jones investments get ?? Nice job on the podcast … it’s a great story of determination and getting it done!

Last edited:
That was great, I love skips story. I always looked at land purchases as long term lifetime buys. I wish I'd of had the foresight at that age to buy less desirable farms with the goal of improving and leveraging them to buy more.
Likewise! Took the words right out of my mouth.

Great podcast enjoyed every minute of it.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
I Listened to the whole podcast. I agree with Skip 100%. If there is a will there is a way.

I personally just bought (Last fall) my own farm mostly Tillable(My family farms) but has a combination of rec ground(I love to hunt) on the farm as well. (Private deal so got a pretty significant discount on the farm)

I personally think now is the time to wait in the weeds on land purchases, Its getting pretty rediculous around here 4500-5000/ acre for rec ground(Floody Rec ground). And 12-18k for AG ground.

Skips path to success is pretty cool, and unique not many people with enough guts and gall to pull something like this off.

Top Bottom