Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 year old black lab with selective hearing

shooter42

My girl friend says that he got his selective hearing from me or something, I wasn't paying too much attention when she said it. Anyway, I know this isn't deer hunting related but I am sure there are others here who have experienced a similar problem. I have a black lab puppy. He will be 1 year old later this month. I've worked with him on obedience and had him enrolled in a class earlier this year. He was doing really well. This past fall in the field he was obedient when I brought him pheasant hunting and never chased hens/deer etc and always returned when I called him.

I live on a farm and we have some cattle. I work during the day in town but let him out of his kennel in the morning for an hour before work, usually over my lunch break, and then in the evening when I am doing chores. Some afternoons if it is nice out I let him out all afternoon when I am gone at work. The lady that taught the obedience class said that I should not be letting him out all afternoon to be on his own as he will begin to get an independent mind set. He never had a obedience issue about going back into his kennel before I leave until the last couple weeks. I dont know if it is a change in the weather or what but he refuses to go back into his kennel or heel if he knows i am leaving. He has also been barking and chasing cows and calves which has to stop as well.

LONG STORY SHORT-- my dog does not heel if he knows I am putting him away like he used to. I realize he is a puppy and likes to play, however I can't chase him around for 15 minutes every morning before work....

I want to nip this behavior asap before he gets worse. Have any of you dealt with this before? I am thinking about getting a training collar. Any collars that you would suggest and any tips in using it for the first time? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

1. Get a collar. Don't have an opinion on makes or brands. Lots of them work well.

2. For a very inexpensive cost you can install underground fence with shock collar. I did several acres for my two labs for a couple hundred bucks. They can roam and play and use up all that energy and become easier to train when not amped up to the hilt.

Loose dog without supervision is always a bad idea!!! Great recipe to end up with a dead dog, one way or another! E-collar can be a great training tool. Downside is, if you don’t know how to use one they are often a disaster!!! Learning how/when to use an e-collar takes longer than using one to train a dog. Great tool, but extremely dangerous in the hands of the untrained handler! Get some training from a professional yourself, before wading into that water! Good luck!

Need to show him you are the Alpha male. He is testing you no different then what they do when they are in a pack. Training collar will be your best bet, but like HorseDoctor said educate yourself before strapping one on. There are plenty of videos from the vendors that make training collars. I was taught by Harold Adams who was the trainer at Doc's Kennels back in the day when I was a pup myself training and raising GSP's. Take the time and do your research and learn, you will not be able to fix this issue in a day. I would also use a check cord when you let him out of the kennel so you have control of him. If he does not come back to you when called, you can correct him by pulling him back to you and reinforcing the command.

Top Bottom