Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10 year old is ruined for life

My 10 year old son tagged his 1st buck last weekend. Well I think he will be spending a lot of hours of hunting trying to top this one. This giant buck has been on trail camera all summer long. When we went out Saturday afternoon we were looking to harvest a doe and have a good time together. I had the bow with me and he had the muzzleloader. I never thought this giant would show up in daylight this early in the season. Well the Double Tree cereal grain mix was the ticket. Numerous does were in the plot out in front of our bale blind. Jaxson was wondering why I wasn't shooting one of the does? I told him I didn't want to have the doe run back into the woods and possibly mess up his chance at a buck that might be hanging out in the edge of the timber waiting to come out. Well that was a good decision because 15 minutes later the giant stepped out. Jaxson made a double lung shot on the buck @ 35 yards. He ran off and died 100 yards later. We were shooting a 250 grain Barnes TMZ bullet with 36 grains of Blackhorn 209. Deadly combination without much recoil. To say we are on cloud 9 is a understatement. View attachment 118612Jaxson's Buck.jpg Buck picture.jpg

Yeah that is an awesome deer, and you are correct, he is going to have high standards now!:)

Gnarly rack, great buck!! Congrats to all!!

I agree with the notion too that the wiser bucks will often stand back in the timber 30-40 yards or so and scan the open field ahead of them for many minutes to assess potential danger. I was in a stand once where I could see a buck doing exactly this and there were probably 8-12 other deer already in that field feeding, relaxed and everything. He still watched them, standing almost perfectly still the entire time, for probably 20 minutes, perhaps longer, before he walked out.

I think your instincts were right on! Good going!

Congrats. He may hunt a long time to top that one - or maybe not and he knocks over another huge buck fairly soon. Sounds like he is hooked on hunting, which is the main thing.

Wow what a buck! So glad he was able to get him. I bet you were more nervous than he was when it all took place.

Wow Jaxson, what a great buck! Look out dad, you may be getting leftovers for years to come.....

That could ruin him or make him real picky in the future. Congrats on a true trophy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, he's ruined. . . . Just kidding. My son's first buck was a killer deer too. He still enjoys going . . . .and rubbing it in that I have not shot one with as many points as his

Congratulations to both of you. I remember how great it felt to be there with my boy when he shot his.

Awesome buck and congrats! Friday sent me the pics the other night. Great farm!

Top Bottom