Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st or 2nd Shotgun Season

First season, might surprise some deer that haven't been shot at yet this year. More deer out there, guns haven't thinned the numbers. You only get 5 days.

Second season, you have 2 weekends if you can't get time off work. Longer second season might have a weather event. If you hunt public, it's been pounded first season. Deer might be in hiding due to hunting pressure. Look for the out of the way places (fence rows, waterways).

Hunting alone or in a group?
Have access to private ground?
Do you prefer to sit, stalk or a combo?

I hunt alone or with my brother. No driving deer for us. I have access to private however it is 3h and 30m away. I have a stand on public that is closer to my house.

I am not really sure how to walk and hunt by yourself.. Seems difficult to me.

Last year I did first season with no luck and was disappointed because it was so short.

That is why I am considering second season this year, however like you said the deer will be on edge from getting shot at for 4 days.

Try to guess where others will be hunting, anticipate where the deer will go to avoid them. Sit down and wait. Maybe the deer like running along a creek line (easy level ground to move along) in thick cover. Maybe they want to run a ridge, though that leaves them visible and vulnerable. Once season starts, the deer will look to find the nastiest place around to hide out.

Look at aerials, look for how cover/land topography might funnel deer movement to certain pinch points. Sit there and wait.

Good luck and stay safe.

I hunt alone or with my brother. No driving deer for us. I have access to private however it is 3h and 30m away. I have a stand on public that is closer to my house.

I am not really sure how to walk and hunt by yourself.. Seems difficult to me.

Last year I did first season with no luck and was disappointed because it was so short.

That is why I am considering second season this year, however like you said the deer will be on edge from getting shot at for 4 days.
Based on this…. 2nd season!!!! Longer & that means u have better odds of getting more cold days too.
High pressure areas- I’d do 1st.
Folks with Plenty of options and not over run with guys- 2nd season.
If solid food source, even more emphasis on 2nd.
Good luck!!

Top Bottom