Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2 speed Hydro vs 3 speed Hydro on tractors

Elusive78

So I am in the market for a new Sub compact tractor between 35 & 40 HP range just wondering should a person shy away from something that has only 2 speeds vs 3 speeds just wondering what your guys thoughts are out there.

So I am in the market for a new Sub compact tractor between 35 & 40 HP range just wondering should a person shy away from something that has only 2 speeds vs 3 speeds just wondering what your guys thoughts are out there.
Personally Id def want 3. I spend most of my time in B gear. Def need C gear for road or moving spots. A gear super handy for heavy pushes, etc.

IBH83 matches how I use mine. Anything slower than 16-17mph top speed on the road is too slow for me.

So- are u guys referring to hydrostat transmissions? I assume so. Is it much more to go to a “regular trans” with clutch & shift? Get a lot better torque & power.

Too unfamiliar with 2 speed I guess. I rarely go into high (or c for the jd guys it seems) so that wouldn't matter to me; never on the road and flying down a field just doesn't happen because it's too rough. Seems like a 2 speed you'd be in highest range, high rpm but not all the way on the gear for a situation like mowing...so sounds like you'd lose power by not being able to put your foot all the way down. I'd pick 3 speed just for the M range.

So- are u guys referring to hydrostat transmissions? I assume so. Is it much more to go to a “regular trans” with clutch & shift? Get a lot better torque & power.
Reg tran actually cheaper I do believe.

Personally, for how I use my machine anything but hydro would drive me insane.

Each has their benefits for sure. Gotta weigh them out.

Last edited:
Hydro Trans is more $$$ than MWFD Trans. Depends what work you want to be doing. If you're mostly mowing plots with it hydro is way to go. Doing work that requires more torque id lean towards MFWD trans. Most hobby farm customers I've been leaning them more towards Hydro. If you have never been on a tractor get hydro. You'll be more happy with it.

Hydro Trans is more $$$ than MWFD Trans. Depends what work you want to be doing. If you're mostly mowing plots with it hydro is way to go. Doing work that requires more torque id lean towards MFWD trans. Most hobby farm customers I've been leaning them more towards Hydro. If you have never been on a tractor get hydro. You'll be more happy with it.
whats a MFWD transmission?

I’m pretty sure MFWD has nothing to do with hydro vs a manual transmission. MFWD just means 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanical front wheel drive is correct. I meant manual transmission. Sorry I'm on JD side of things and sometimes forget that. Manual Tranny will be a money saver. Depends on how you're going to use the tractor honestly. Both are great/ work great.

Top Bottom