Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

200 inchers?

it's not just the few non-residents but the residents themselves. there are 150,000 archery hunters in Illinois
PA had 342,000 archery hunters last year and 19,000 NR archery hunters. Needless to say, this state doesn't have a huge population of 200" buck. At one-point years ago we had over 1 million licensed hunters!

Change the regs all you want in PA. Wouldn’t matter. Too many hunters. The archery hunters in PA are more than total hunters in most states. Not to mention gun hunters. Jesus.

In the past two years I’ve had a 180+ (In Iowa) and a 175 (in Minnesota) living on and/or near my farms …. both died (EHD in Iowa and hit by a car in Minnesota ). It’s not all hunters that end their chances at 200 inches.DB4BC30C-553B-46FD-B757-5CEA4C57472B.jpeg690A6D7B-04AE-4A80-B60D-E650FC7D9353.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in the 90's, it was common to see 150_170" deer.
Well maybe not common (170) but a good amount of solid bucks.
Now days, seeing a 150 gives me wood even though hunting pressure is almost dismal now.
Totally opposite of what I figgered. I can't explain what has happened?

80_90's, it was almost common to see bucks that dressed 220_240lbs.
VERY FEW bucks even crack the 200lb range now. And hunting pressure is well under 50% what it was then. Heck, the past 5 or so years its almost been like "is it even gun hunting"season?

Last edited:
Now days, seeing a 150 gives me wood even though hunting pressure is almost dismal now.

VERY FEW bucks even crack the 200lb range now. And hunting pressure is well under 50% what it was then. Heck, the past 5 or so years its almost been like "is it even gun hunting"season?
One thing I never see mentioned is the "youth season", which has basically turned into dads channeling the energy from coaching T-ball into making sure their 5 year old kid blasts a a 3 year old 150" deer off a tripod so they can have it on instagram. Or early muzzleloader season. I keep hearing about this downfall of Iowa hunting and allowing 500 more non-residents is going to ruin the state forever but guys having an early muzzleloader tag and pounding deer at 300 yards over bean fields in October is totally somehow different than using a 30-06 to 300 yards in yards in January because the antlers have dropped.

Iowa's advantage on growing older age class bucks was built on having a gun season after the rut, and everyone hunting with a gun shooting rifled slugs through a smoothbore 870. Everyone has rifled barrels/sabot slugs or straight wall rifle now. Technology has caught up, the western states are also dealing with this.

Hell, Josh Bowmar and his enablers are out there shoveling pick up loads of corn into camera sites, and I've never seen a video made against it or anyone go on a podcast and say its wrong.

Another question on the cell cam discussion. Do those of you that see deer avoiding them have the "on demand" or "fast upload" feature turned on? I'm not sure what if any difference that would make but I know it burns batteries a lot faster, so something is happening.

Hunting pressure is way up in my area of Minnesota. Plus we’ve added over 20 gun days since 1995.

Also added… cell cams, better food plots, more permanent box blinds, better weapons,,better stands, better clothing .

More hunters and more hours with much better equipment. The quality has changed in my area. Fewer bucks make it past 3 years old .

Another question on the cell cam discussion. Do those of you that see deer avoiding them have the "on demand" or "fast upload" feature turned on? I'm not sure what if any difference that would make but I know it burns batteries a lot faster, so something is happening.

My Spartan Gocam only sends instantly, spooks deer, and is now in the yard. I have my Reconyx set to send immediately because they don't seem to spook anything. I just had a Matoor 7 pointer walk by a Reconyx.

My Spartan Gocam only sends instantly, spooks deer, and is now in the yard. I have my Reconyx set to send immediately because they don't seem to spook anything. I just had a Matoor 7 pointer walk by a Reconyx.
I love my reconyx cameras, zero complaints. I don't have them on instant simply cause I don't want instant pictures.
On the exodus cameras, even when sending batched I have the option for the on demand setting. This just means I can request a photo or video at any time and get it instantly. It burns batteries a lot faster on that setting so I leave it off. It never occurred to me that it might spook deer until now.

I hunted north of Saskatoon twice in the late 80's, plenty of buck 145 to 160 range and bigger. Seems odd that since the hunting pressure is down that they're not as common? I hunted deep in the wilderness though.

Up un t I'll about 10 years ago, it was orange EVERY Where.
Gang after gang driving everything of cover.
Last gun season, I went a few days and didn't see one speck of orange.
Maybe heard 20 shots opening day last year,where years ago, it sounded like a war zone..
Our bucks just don't grow like the used to,, antler and body.
My network of good hunters have seen it also.

Maybe heard 20 shots opening day last year,where years ago, it sounded like a war zone..

Could that be related to the lack of hunters equals less deer killed which in turn allows poor genetics allowed to reproduce and eventually those genetics become dominate? I've pondered that before in some areas I've seen.

In the past two years I’ve had a 180+ (In Iowa) and a 175 (in Minnesota) living on and/or near my farms …. both died (EHD in Iowa and hit by a car in Minnesota ). It’s not all hunters that end their chances at 200 inches.
I don't have control over any land, so this, among a multitude of other reasons, is why I find it practically impossible to pass on a 'mature buck'. Some years that means 140s and other years that means 190s. Big old body and in range is what it's all about. I rarely ever see the same mature buck twice, if I pass it up or miss it.

I have heard the cuddelink are far less of a problem than cell cams. They run on radio other than home cam.
They may not spook deer but they sure do miss lots of pic taking opportunities. I set a browning black ops next to a cuddelink and there were 3 to 1 pic totals difference. I still use the cuddes in spots I can't use a cell cam but want relatively recent info.

Hunting pressure is way up in my area of Minnesota. Plus we’ve added over 20 gun days since 1995.

Also added… cell cams, better food plots, more permanent box blinds, better weapons,,better stands, better clothing .

More hunters and more hours with much better equipment. The quality has changed in my area. Fewer bucks make it past 3 years old .
All of those ^^ are factors too in my mind as to how challenging it can be to get bucks "through" and into older age classes. Also, as someone else said...youth seasons have also been a factor in various big bucks going down.

Not to take this down a bad road but rifles are in Iowa. Come on. Straight walls. Killing effectiveness out to 300 yards. NRs are in the state regardless of regs. Been here for 20 years. Quality is already down and will not come back. Still awesome place but…,,,,

Last edited:
I watched this thread while on vacation and like to see members opinions on this matter!
IMO a 200 incher is way less then 1% but areas could have several at times. Since 1985 when I started BH I have seen one and know because he was poached a few weeks later and a few years after that I seen one that was through the brush that was Non Typical that might been over the coveted 200 mark.

The other topic on cell cameras is interesting but I’ve wondered the same thing with regular cameras?

Been running cams in Iowa for 20 years. Never had a 200 on cam and never saw one on the hoof. I’m with Ishi, less than 1%, unless you have access to the interior of a posted huge block of cover, then ok. But the average dude on common ground struggles to see one in a lifetime..

Curious on why you would want to limit youth to doe only? If a buck gets killed does it matter if its a 12 year old or a 30 year old that kills it, still a dead buck.

Top Bottom