Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2012 Archery Buck

203ntyp

PMA Member
Well, I just got my 2012 buck back today so I thought I'd share. Not too pleased with workmanship but a friend did it for $200 so I can complain about that. It is my best PA buck and scored 134", I waited almost a year before I decided to mount it which caused some delay in getting finished. Some other pics of the man cave.
925-img_1721.jpg

925-img_1719.jpg

925-img_1722.jpg

925-img_1723.jpg

It could be a lot worse for that amount. I bet some of the pictures I've viewed of some of the past Deer classics had mounts worse than that for more $$$. With help from your other mounts, I think it passes and is a serviceable addition. Seriously, It's not noticeable and it just kind of fades and blends into the background.

In addition, heck of a buck you have featured. Is that your Illinois buck? Congrats, and nice little man cave you got going there.

Thank you and yes, the monarch above the fire place is from Illinois from 2001 as well as some of the others in this room taken since then.

I had one like that (that I paid way more than $200 for). After a couple years I tore it apart & turned it into a set of antlers on a plaque. If you are unhappy with the "workmanship" now, what do you suppose you will think of it a year from now?

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” Aldo Gucci

I had one like that (that I paid way more than $200 for). After a couple years I tore it apart & turned it into a set of antlers on a plaque. If you are unhappy with the "workmanship" now, what do you suppose you will think of it a year from now?

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” Aldo Gucci

Personally, Judging from his other mounts, I think he has a guy set aside that does a quality job to the deer he really wants to appear good. It's probably something where his friend just started taxidermy, and wanted provide his friend another opportunity to put his skills to the test or to just improve on. I think it offers sentimental value to him, in this regard, and therefore, I think he'll be okay with it. I'm sure he'll have times where he'll wish he took it to main guy, but I think it meant a lot to his friend by letting him mount his deer for him.

It's not that horrible of deer mount considering what he payed for it. There have been a lot worse mounts done and there will continue to be worse mounts being produced.

Last edited:
That is a real nice Pa buck. It's pretty cool to see how much bigger bodies on the midwest deer than the Pa bucks. Really good comparison in the mounts

Personally, Judging from his other mounts, I think he has a guy set aside that does a quality job to the deer he really wants to appear good. It's probably something where his friend just started taxidermy, and wanted provide his friend another opportunity to put his skills to the test or to just improve on. I think it offers sentimental value to him, in this regard, and therefore, I think he'll be okay with it. I'm sure he'll have times where he'll wish he took it to main guy, but I think it meant a lot to his friend by letting him mount his deer for him.

It's not that horrible of deer mount considering what he payed for it. There have been a lot worse mounts done and there will continue to be worse mounts being produced.

I know exactly what you mean. I did the same thing in that I had a deer done by the son of a good friend & ranch owner. He was just getting started in taxidermy. It wasn't a giant of a deer but was a decent deer and the last one I shot while hunting with a long time friend/guide before he passed away, so there was sentiment all over. If you look around a trophy room and see nothing but the antlers, a less than top quality mount won't bother you. But, if you look at the taxidermy instead of just the antlers, it's a totally different matter. The poor quality of that particular mount ruined all the sentiment for me. The fact that I paid well over $200 had nothing to do with it. Whenever I looked at it, all I could think of was how poor it was compared to the other mounts I had. Now it's a set of antlers that once again remind me of the day, the friends and the kill. Thankfully, the rancher's son is now a successful business man (and a still a good friend) who no longer does taxidermy, not even his own. :)

I understand where you are coming from, HD. I really do. But I just didn’t feel the need to come down on him (or rub it in) for making the choice he did. I didn’t think it would of made the situation any better than it is . If it was his only mount, than yes, I would be pissed for him, but the fact that he has other good quality mounts will help mask some obviously lack of quality features of this particular mount. It’s not the type of mount where I instantly want to roll on the ground, and vomit profusely, but you can obviously tell there’s a difference in quality between the mounts. But it’s not to terribly noticeable from a distance, but as you get close, you can tell. The point is there not much he can do about it now. I mean, he could do a plaque mount of the antlers, but to me the cape is just as important or 'makes’ the mount as the antlers themselves like you said. So, at least, the mount somewhat resembles the deer he harvested. I never really was a fan of salvage capes because of the fact that it’s not your bucks actual cape. Even for mounting sheds.. it just doesn’t appear right. Though, an Idea that came to me was he could get get those carved wooded deer heads they sell, at the classic, where you can mount your antlers on top. He then could paint it to match the exact coloring and texturing of his bucks cape from harvest pictures (reference).

Never intended to "rub it in" to the OP at all. Just wanted to give anyone who chooses a taxi based on anything other than the quality of the work a little something to think about. I hope that 203ntyp is happy with his mount for many years.

You're not rubbing it in at all. It was a choice I made mostly due to not having a job right now. My friend is not new at it, just does not have the quality touch. He has mounted several other deer for me over the years and until I started look past the antlers and focus more on quality that I appreciated the quality more. I too have torn a couple mounts apart because of that. As far as the latest mount, it just doesn't look like the deer I harvested. The cape is a different shade, he said it was my buck because the tag was still on it from the tannery.

For now it still represents a rewarding memory of a great encounter that day that I will never forget. Down the road it's possible I may pull the antlers off as I did others or get another cape and try mounting my own, lol. If I'm ever fortunate enough to harvest another mature deer I will definitely pay the extra cost for quality.

You're not rubbing it in at all. It was a choice I made mostly due to not having a job right now. My friend is not new at it, just does not have the quality touch. He has mounted several other deer for me over the years and until I started look past the antlers and focus more on quality that I appreciated the quality more. I too have torn a couple mounts apart because of that. As far as the latest mount, it just doesn't look like the deer I harvested. The cape is a different shade, he said it was my buck because the tag was still on it from the tannery.

For now it still represents a rewarding memory of a great encounter that day that I will never forget. Down the road it's possible I may pull the antlers off as I did others or get another cape and try mounting my own, lol. If I'm ever fortunate enough to harvest another mature deer I will definitely pay the extra cost for quality.

Thanks for giving your perspective. I was beginning to wonder when you would. Do you think there was a possible mix up at the tannery?

And HD, thanks for clarifying that. It just kinda came off that way and I wanted to stir away from that.

And HD, thanks for clarifying that. It just kinda came off that way and I wanted to stir away from that.

Yea, I probably shouldn't post after "cocktail hour". My wife accuses me of not choosing my words carefully enough then.... :eek:

Yea, I probably shouldn't post after "cocktail hour". My wife accuses me of not choosing my words carefully enough then.... :eek:

Haha, totally understandable. With how things are going, in this country, let alone the world, I don't blame you for wanting to reach for hard stuff. Or maybe your doing so because your married? :D:drink1:

Top Bottom