Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 Governors Tags

I saw 2011's a newspaper made public with an article but haven't been able to find others. People don't mind?

I know 3 people on that particular list as they are friends :) It absolutely should be public information and you absolutely should get an answer on that one. They actually got those tags based on being put in the public eye. They should respond.

Are these given away free or do the "celebrities" have to pay for them?

Same price as a NR tag. Non-residents on the other hand have to wait, often time, 4 years for a tag while the Celebrities get this tag every other year and can ALSO buy the regular tag as this has no impact on their preference points. So, the bottom line is they can hunt 3 out of 4 years on this celeb tag system & regular tags - all at regular price VS the NR only being able to hunt 1 out of 4 years at regular price.

And when you all wake up and see the NR tag allocation is doubled or tripled as Brandstad supports the growing outrage & demand for more tags when this crazy/current marketing to millions currently causes a 5-6 year wait for tags... I sure hope at least some people open this post back up and go "wow, how did did folks back a few years ago know the future, I guess they were right back then, we should have gotten rid of the tags the second we had the chance, too late now". Our hunting will go down the tubes to the same degree Illinois did. The writing is on the wall and too many want to ignore it or say "nothing will change" and they are dead wrong & the thing that WILL change with that attitude is the tag quota that's coming down the road.

Iowa is a "Sunshine State" and since the list is "public", it is available, though it might require filing a Freedom of Information request (FOI) that might not be free......

Iowa is a "Sunshine State" and since the list is "public", it is available, though it might require filing a Freedom of Information request (FOI) that might not be free......

What would the cost be (guess) and how would a person get that information for the FOI if that avenue is needed?

And when you all wake up and see the NR tag allocation is doubled or tripled as Brandstad supports the growing outrage & demand for more tags when this crazy/current marketing to millions currently causes a 5-6 year wait for tags... I sure hope at least some people open this post back up and go "wow, how did did folks back a few years ago know the future, I guess they were right back then, we should have gotten rid of the tags the second we had the chance, too late now". Our hunting will go down the tubes to the same degree Illinois did. The writing is on the wall and too many want to ignore it or say "nothing will change" and they are dead wrong & the thing that WILL change with that attitude is the tag quota that's coming down the road.

The peak has come and gone. Governor tags have been around for years exactly as they are now. Knight used to bring in a ton of celebrities and have a banquet and host the Governor's hunt every year in Centerville. The hunting public already knows about Iowa, and has for over 10 years. The "rush" is old news and further use of Governor tags and media will have little to no further change in the demand. In fact, demand for NR tags has decreased since Iowa was opened up to them. Here are the numbers.

2004 12,169 Nonresident applicants
2005 12,231
2006 10,544
2007 11,105
2008 11,470
2009 10,114
2010 9,542
2011 ........
2012 9,053

As you can see, that's a pretty big decrease in demand. And, I could argue that we have more exposure from media available now than ever thanks to Winke's web show and other avenues like Facebook and Youtube, etc. Iowa is an open book at this point and the Governor tags have little impact overall. Most NR's I have talked with admit that it would hurt the state if the allotment was increased and would undermine the reason that they want to hunt here in the first place.

In a few years you can look back at this post and see that the sky did not fall.

Sligh-

Just to clarify, you want to eliminate GOV tags and keep the NR tag allocation the same? I'm trying to figure out your opinion on this entire thing and why? I have read your posts and know that you also have a large amount of land you are trying to sell right now. I do not mean to be confrontational just want to have a better idea of what you're thinking. Thanks

Didn't the disabled veterans tags come out of the Gov tags quota? I could be wrong but I thought I heard that somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Govtags.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is an older one from 2007, 2008 and 2009. Sorry about the orientation.

They used to provide the list if you asked. I haven't gotten it in years but used to get it just out of curiosity. I believe Ross Harrison was the contact back then.

The peak has come and gone. Governor tags have been around for years exactly as they are now. Knight used to bring in a ton of celebrities and have a banquet and host the Governor's hunt every year in Centerville. The hunting public already knows about Iowa, and has for over 10 years. The "rush" is old news and further use of Governor tags and media will have little to no further change in the demand. In fact, demand for NR tags has decreased since Iowa was opened up to them. Here are the numbers.

2004 12,169 Nonresident applicants
2005 12,231
2006 10,544
2007 11,105
2008 11,470
2009 10,114
2010 9,542
2011 ........
2012 9,053

As you can see, that's a pretty big decrease in demand. And, I could argue that we have more exposure from media available now than ever thanks to Winke's web show and other avenues like Facebook and Youtube, etc. Iowa is an open book at this point and the Governor tags have little impact overall. Most NR's I have talked with admit that it would hurt the state if the allotment was increased and would undermine the reason that they want to hunt here in the first place.

In a few years you can look back at this post and see that the sky did not fall.

Fletch, these numbers seem to go against the increased time between drawing tags the last few years. Back in the mid 2000's I drew every other year......now every third. When did the the point system go into effect? Perhaps only those actually applying for the tag vs. just a preference are counted now which would account for the decrease in applicants as shown??

Hunting personalities, country singers, baseball players, ufc fighters and Bo Jackson...

Might as well call them celebrity tags. It is ingenious... Iowa is getting paid to advertise its own resource... but I dont really like it.

Fletch, these numbers seem to go against the increased time between drawing tags the last few years. Back in the mid 2000's I drew every other year......now every third. When did the the point system go into effect? Perhaps only those actually applying for the tag vs. just a preference are counted now which would account for the decrease in applicants as shown??

I honestly don't know the answer. Has there always been a cap on archery tags? I think not. My understanding from the DNR is that these numbers do reflect total applicants. Also, I think there is more demand for archery than ever. If you want to hunt with a firearm, the wait is short. In many zones, you can get a tag at least every-other year for gun.

The number of applicants dropping seems to track with the increase in cost and a weaker economy.

The TAG DEMAND HAS NOT DECREASED, those #'s are due to the preference point system, which more people don't apply, they just buy the points. It's a FACT, in southern Iowa- it used to be every other year and now it's roughly ever 4 years, in just a 6-7 year timeframe shift. More people buy the points now which are not included in there and the wait has increased immensely.

Sligh-

Just to clarify, you want to eliminate GOV tags and keep the NR tag allocation the same? I'm trying to figure out your opinion on this entire thing and why? I have read your posts and know that you also have a large amount of land you are trying to sell right now. I do not mean to be confrontational just want to have a better idea of what you're thinking. Thanks

Good & fair questions.....
1) in regards to land - If I wanted to make $ - I'd really want the flood gates for NRLO's to open up. Ground prices would go up $1k/acre very very fast & likely we'd surpass the IL high on prices as we have much less to sell (Illinois got to $5-5,500 for hunting type stuff before it went into the crapper). I honestly think it would hit 6-7K an acre for hunting land & eventually most would get split down to 30-80 acre farms after enough time. I really don't want that- personally, I really don't care about the $, I want the ground to be as good as possible and anything I sell - I'm going to roll right into ground anyways. Bottom line on NRLO's - I see both sides of the story, I have mixed feelings - I do think we need to be very careful on a very delicate situation in Iowa.... We have 5% timbered land and we can screw it up fast. One fact, if we just called a spade a spade, however you look at it.... If we did open the flood gates to free for all on tags to NRLO's - the land would almost entirely be bought up by NRLO's within 5-10 years & only the very few stubborn families would hold out until the owner eventually died. It would be gobbled up at crazy rates, that's just being honest no matter which side I'd be on. And I do see both sides the argument and my good friends are NRLO's.

2) NR tags & Gov tags. I "hope & wish" (really why I write in & post on the subject) the program dissolves so we aren't backed into a corner on the NR tag fight that has & will happen. I want to have the debate (no matter which side I'm on or you're on) while there isn't intense and crazy new demand currently happening. The demand needs to STEADY out or we're just going to either open the flood gates or just keep having the fight over and over and over. The trend is UP UP UP in the last 6-8 years for tag demand, the program markets to millions and impacts demand greatly.
ANALOGY.... Kinda like illegal immigration.... We did amnesty in the 80's with deal to secure the border. Didn't happen. Then, what 20 million new people came. Still didn't secure the border. Now, they want amnesty in some form for those 20 million and border isn't secure, even more are and will come, never ending problem. We'll have this fight again and again & folks are saying "fix the border 1st, then lets discuss the rest".
That's how I see Iowa creating giant demand to millions through the Mass marketing of Celeb tags to millions. let's at least stop that program - be fair to guys who own land here and hunted here for 10 years who are NR's. They started with every other year and now have 4 years often times for a tag in 6 year timeframe change. Let's be fair and turn the faucet off for creating un-needed demand - as much as possible at least. And the celeb tags do make a HUGE impact. Let's reduce that impact of that program. Then, we can steady demand, talk about this more rationally and know what demand will be like in 5 years. Cause right now, we're in the process of creating a whole lot more of it whether you agree or not, we are. It's an upward trend for demand big time! On top of that, the program can't justify itself, is completely unfair, is politics at its worst, etc, etc.

I do see both sides to all the NR discussion. Absolutely. I don't care about the $ in land as I'll die with land and I'm only selling to buy next to my main farm, never touching a penny. I want what's best for our delicate ecosystem of deer management. I have friends on all sides of the issues of NR's and I get it, tough issue. The one thing though that, crazy enough, we all actually agree on - getting rid of the Celeb tags. Getting a group like this to all agree on something is RARE and INCREDIBLE but also means much more do-able than we realize. Must happen or we are in for a tidal wave of change to our quotas, access, land, politics, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom