Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 rule change

Hoosier why do you feel the need to come to an Iowa Whitetail to complain about how the farmers are destroying habitat, hunters are pushing deer, and don't give NR's tags? You don't live work or hunt here. Don'you have problems in your own state? Go on a crusade to fix your own deer population. Its one thing to have an Iowa Native talk about these things but some dude from out of state that doesn't work, hunt, or live here just rubs me the wrong way. Trust me when I say that I don't feel sorry for any NR's out there that owns land here or wish they did. If any of you think the deer population is too low right now you need to talk to some of the old boys that have been hunting since the begenning deer seasons when if they saw a track it was a big deal. It seems like some hunters feel entitled, and if you do, you need to think differently. Things cycle and I have a feeling that deer population will cycle higher in a few years. I usually shoot three four does a year. I shot one buck this year. And it wasn't because of a lack of opprotunity on does either.

The question was asked how to fix some of the issues. I provided insight on that. Im passionate about hunting regardless of what state I do it in. What I've said isn't anything your "own" people haven't said.

Someone answer me this question

Most everyone is dead set on not eliminating party hunting......

Ok so what's the difference if you all get together and go hunt the exact same way except your required to use your own tag???

To me that makes a hunter more responsible on what he/she pulls the trigger on. If you want it that bad then put your own tag on it. If you don't have a tag then you don't shoot......

Any other states allow party hunting for whitetails?

Someone answer me this question

Most everyone is dead set on not eliminating party hunting......

Ok so what's the difference if you all get together and go hunt the exact same way except your required to use your own tag???

To me that makes a hunter more responsible on what he/she pulls the trigger on. If you want it that bad then put your own tag on it. If you don't have a tag then you don't shoot......

Any other states allow party hunting for whitetails?

Idk why people can't do it. I feel the same way Hoosier

A lot of party hunters are not trophy hunters, who's business is it to tell them what they are doing is wrong as long as it's legal? I've party hunted for many years and don't remember a year where we filled all tags. I also have never witnessed anyone in our group shoot a deer and leave it lay. Some pry do, but the people that do that are the same people that wouldn't be afraid to shoot one with a rifle out of season. So end party hunting and think people are just going to stop hunting? What about all the deer shot with arrows that are never recovered? Then the next day the hunter is back in the treestand trying to get another? Not trying to start a debate but has anybody considered this into the equation? Just look at the lost deer post on here and other hunting forums and that's just the people that decide to tell everyone about it which I doubt is more than half. I know someone will say that's just a drop in the bucket compared to party hunting, but when the buckets empty every drop counts.

A lot of party hunters are not trophy hunters, who's business is it to tell them what they are doing is wrong as long as it's legal? I've party hunted for many years and don't remember a year where we filled all tags. I also have never witnessed anyone in our group shoot a deer and leave it lay. Some pry do, but the people that do that are the same people that wouldn't be afraid to shoot one with a rifle out of season. So end party hunting and think people are just going to stop hunting? What about all the deer shot with arrows that are never recovered? Then the next day the hunter is back in the treestand trying to get another? Not trying to start a debate but has anybody considered this into the equation? Just look at the lost deer post on here and other hunting forums and that's just the people that decide to tell everyone about it which I doubt is more than half. I know someone will say that's just a drop in the bucket compared to party hunting, but when the buckets empty every drop counts.

We just want to stop the sharing of tags. What's the difference if you buy your own tags and fill them. You still get the joy of hunting with everyone and get to push. It just requires hunters to be more responsible with their harvests instead of shooting and not knowing who all has killed a deer and how many tags have been filled.

I guess I didn't know calling people idiots constituted as "insight"

I'm sorry but your insight has no creditability with me. In fact I will be honest with you half the post I read from you flat make my skin crawl. Until you can base your insight on more than what you've seen from interstate 80, as you quoted earlier, keep your "idiot" comments and farmers "shaming" insurance comments to yourself.

I'd be willing to bet if you were to spend one week on sodbusters farm vs. sitting behind your computer screen your whole perspective would change.

Seriously! The guy asks your thoughts and how many people posted a smart ass reply trying to make him feel like an ass for asking? I used to enjoy this site.

Ok so what's the difference if you all get together and go hunt the exact same way except your required to use your own tag??

Party hunting allows everybody in the group to keep hunting as long as any other person in the group has an unfilled tag. Eliminate party hunting and once a guy tags a deer and no longer has an unfilled tag of his own he is done hunting.

A group of 20 guys can hunt all season under the current rules. If you eliminate party hunting the more deer that group kills the smaller the group gets and the harder it is to kill more deer.

Seriously! The guy asks your thoughts and how many people posted a smart ass reply trying to make him feel like an ass for asking? I used to enjoy this site.

I don't think people are trying to insult the op they are just kidding around because the "rumor" is so unlikely to happen as to be absurd.

No way they would consider reducing either sex tags. Never happen.

I guess I didn't know calling people idiots constituted as "insight" I'm sorry but your insight has no creditability with me. In fact I will be honest with you half the post I read from you flat make my skin crawl. Until you can base your insight on more than what you've seen from interstate 80, as you quoted earlier, keep your "idiot" comments and farmers "shaming" insurance comments to yourself. I'd be willing to bet if you were to spend one week on sodbusters farm vs. sitting behind your computer screen your whole perspective would change.

Hawk

So your saying that the majority of farmers in Iowa experience significant crop damage from deer?

Your also saying that crop insurance hasn't paid farmers when it shouldn't have more times than not recently?

Your telling me that the majority of Iowa holds even average deer habitat? That at least half your state doesn't consist of pure crop ground that holds very few deer period.

If you want to try and call me out fine , but do it with facts not because you have hurt feelings from hearing what you don't want to hear.....

Party hunting allows everybody in the group to keep hunting as long as any other person in the group has an unfilled tag. Eliminate party hunting and once a guy tags a deer and no longer has an unfilled tag of his own he is done hunting. A group of 20 guys can hunt all season under the current rules. If you eliminate party hunting the more deer that group kills the smaller the group gets and the harder it is to kill more deer.

But that's exactly what everyone says needs to happen. Less deer get killed.

When will you guys learn. Deer hunting is all about killing big bucks only, criticizing people who shoot does, saying that every deer under 170 is obviously a three and a half year old buck that needs a year or two to grow, and getting mad when your neighbor shoots a deer shotgun party hunting because you had a picture of him and he probably would have been 200+ in 2 years and how dare he shoot a deer that you had picture of on your ground. You now officially own that deer.... : ) But in all seriousness I wouldn't mind seeing less doe tags where needed. Also not a big fan of the late rifle season. Party hunting doesn't bother me too much because its still the same amount of tags. I dont get how you can get a doe tag. Shoot a doe. And then get an even cheaper doe tag after that. Seems backwards to me.

I have to agree with getting rid of party hunting. There is no need for a group to go around and fill eachothers tags. It leads to over harvest and many times deer just left laying because they aren't what people want or people shot too many. I'm not a fan of pushing but you could still push. If you want to shoot deer buy and own your own tags. It's cheaper that way too. If you want to shoot more than one buck get a bow.

Party hunting was and is the main way to reduce the population as someone has already mentioned. Other than the few that abuse it by buying tags for everyone in their family I really do not see a problem with it. Do I do it no but get rid of it and they will be called on in the future to help again guaranteed. Just my .02.

But that's exactly what everyone says needs to happen. Less deer get killed.

I agree. I would not be sad to see party hunting eliminated but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too ingrained and the majority of hunters would be up in arms about it. The number of average Joe shotgun party hunters far outnumber us hard core deer nuts. And although the deer herd is declining I don't see the DNR recommending something that would lead to fewer hunters and reduced harvest.

Along these lines is said every year in MO too...they are going to move the gun season back. Never happens tho and its always from a reliable source too :D

I agree. I would not be sad to see party hunting eliminated but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too ingrained and the majority of hunters would be up in arms about it. The number of average Joe shotgun party hunters far outnumber us hard core deer nuts. And although the deer herd is declining I don't see the DNR recommending something that would lead to fewer hunters and reduced harvest.

So are you sayin a party hunter can't be a hardcore deer nut? :D

Don't know about other States, but the one I came from, You cannot use another's tag. I know,,,A Tradition, in IA.

Hoosier I know I am just and idiot. But here is goes anyway. I don't think all farmers in the state say they have deer damage. The guys out in flat black corn and bean country don't, I am sure.

Since you are an insurance guy you proably know that insuranc claims mostly are set by price and yield. If a farmer got paid in the past few years it was because that price X yield was less than the original price. With a declining deer herd yield per acre should be going up. I guess I really don't understand your arguement about insurance and crop damage. 2012 some farmers were paid due to a yield reduction, 2013 some farmers were paid due to a price reduction. IF you don't like the way FEDERAL CROP INSURANCE works then you need to talk to your congressmen and get it fixed.

Lastly, and I realize that I am just and idiot, Iowa has never and I mean NEVER as long as I have been alive had a majority of its land been at last averge deer habitat. This state grows corn and beans. Its always been that way. We will never have half the state be average deer habitat untill deer hunting pays better than crop farming.

Good thing it doesn't take a genius to figure out. Because according to you I am an idiot. LOL.

Party hunting allows everybody in the group to keep hunting as long as any other person in the group has an unfilled tag. Eliminate party hunting and once a guy tags a deer and no longer has an unfilled tag of his own he is done hunting.
NO!! He is only done "shooting"

Ok I'm done with the non-PMA side of Iowawhitetail.

Reason is:

1. Guys want to complain about not seeing many mature bucks and hardly any deer in general, but they want to change nothing. The culture of greed and only willing to take the same or more has made me sick. GREED will be eventually push all the little people out of hunting and will ruin it..

2. Insanity: Doing the same thing you've been doing but expecting different results.... There are way to many "members" in this category (very few PMA members thankfully).

3. I live by the "Golden Rule", treat others how you'd like to be treated.

4. I have a great respect for intellegence and there is a lot of intellegent guys in the PMA section!

Top Bottom