Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2015-2016 Youth Deer Contest!

my middle childs first buck

picture.php

Trent Got it Done, Early Muzzy

My 14 year old son, Trent, has been trying to get registered to post his own pics and story but the website issues have prevented it so far, so I'll post it for him.

He shot this buck on the last day of early muzzleloader season. Scored just over 147".

1040-trent1.jpg

1040-trent2.jpg

Sorry for the long story but I was finally able to post about my son Gabriel's first buck. It was the second to last day of the early muzzleloader season and due to school and work I only had two days to take him out during the early season. We ended up running a little late that morning since we had to stop at Walmart for some chairs for the ground blind since I forgot them at home. We get to the farm 5 minutes before legal shooting light so we had to move quick but quietly. As we get to the field we were going to hunt I told Gabriel we need to move slow in case there are deer in the field and wouldnt you know it I look up and see a 4 point feeding 50 yards away between us and the blind. We knelt down behind a small shrub and I set up the shooting sticks for him. My son looked at me and said "dad I want to wait for a bigger one or a big doe". I told him that was a good idea and we will just wait till he walks off to get into the blind. Well over the hill comes a small 6 point and they both make their way towards us and veer off at only 15 yards and never noticed us. Just as we are about to stand up I notice this buck which we've had a history with last year coming over the hill. Gabriel looks at me and his eyes are as wide as a dinner plate and says "Dad I want to shoot him" so I set the sticks down and he gets the muzzleloader set and says I'm on him dad. The buck turns broadside at 45 yards and he made a perfect shot. There were a lot of hugs and high fives as well as a few tears from dad. To know that my son who helps me set blinds and stands and check cameras at just 10 years old passed on two bucks that would have been his first buck and I would have been just as happy for him, to wait for a mature buck or doe made me proud to know he understands the management side of hunting and not just to shoot the first deer he saw. He cant wait for it to come back from the taxidermist as he already has a spot on the wall picked out.
showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

Ok all Tracer from WhiteTails Crossing Trail Cameras (the prize sponsor) will be handling the drawing for this. He has all the youth hunters names or whoever posted their photos names and will video the drawing soon. We will have a link or post up the video and announce the winner when it is over.

Good luck to all the participants and thanks for sharing the great pictures, we love seeing all the kids involved and again thanks for sharing with us!

Last edited:
And the winner is.....

Steve (Tracer) from WhiteTails Crossing Trail Cameras who sponsored this contest did the drawing and hunthoyt's stepdaughter is the lucky winner!

Watch the drawing here! https://youtu.be/C9TfDiZUSK4

Thanks again to all those kids that participated great pictures and deer! We are looking forward to next years youth contest already.

Congrats and it looks like your first hunt was lucky in more way's than one!
6432-20150920_080432.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys very much, I will be sure to let her know when she gets home from school. There is nothing better than introducing a new hunter to the sport and being able to share that now with my kids is better than anything in the world

Top Bottom