Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Farm Bill

I don’t think the lower rates dropped away in some cases they went up. I enrolled a farm in 2017 Appanoose Co planted in 2018 was a pheasant/quail planting went in at 143.00 but it was just the rough ground kept as much crop as possible. The Rental rate actually went up slightly but at 85% came back to the same in a general. Even though the rates are lower they are closer to the actual value of the land being offered.

The last rate I checked in W IA was $225 on 88 CSR soil. That was $300 in past years.

$225 x .90

Might put some in, but cash rent is still higher for now?

So they are doing a December sign up as well that will have more options. This June sign up is pretty limited.
That is the word out so far. The Decemberish sign-up is supposed to be what is called a "General" CRP sign-up that is typically a competitive bid process that had historically been the best option for getting whole fields into CRP. Based off a point scoring system that has a cutoff decided after the sign-up ends.

Was in today. Bad. Rates were rough & what they had for practices were so limited - I’ll echo above. Sure hope General is much better!!!

current sign up is all water quality based stuff. Buffer strips, waterways, etc. This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can you enroll existing waterways into CRP? Waterways are part of the FSA tillable field.

current sign up is all water quality based stuff. Buffer strips, waterways, etc. This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway. Can you enroll existing waterways into CRP? Waterways are part of the FSA tillable field.

How wide are they? I would double check on that, tell them you are going to till them up;).

Typically existing GRASS waterways do not meet the resource concern (erosion) to be eligible for CRP but it never hurts to ask.

Rates for the December signup will be based on the same rents seen in this sign up but rent x .85 for a general signup. Heard today that Mid contract management in the future contracts will have zero cost share so practices like burning will be 100%cost to the landowner.

Rates for the December signup will be based on the same rents seen in this sign up but rent x .85 for a general signup. Heard today that Mid contract management in the future contracts will have zero cost share so practices like burning will be 100%cost to the landowner.
Bye bye millions of acres of CRP. That's what is going to happen unless future sign ups change. Bad deal IMO

Good thing matches are inexpensive! :) For real, I do my own burning for MCM and have essentially no cost in it, so that one won't hurt too much.

I get around 3k a year for my 16 acres of crp. Pretty sure I can burn it every 3 to 5 years for no cost. Just a couple hours of my time.

Be patient on the CRP sign up. If rates and cost share “suck” then sign ups will be down. They want to see acres go in, so we will see?

Mid $4 corn won’t help sign ups! Might have to bump up rates in next two years.

I can tell you from experience there will be plenty of interest. There are CRP acres expiring this fall that will increase their payment by 140% or better even at 85% of the new rate. UNLESS the general sign-up requires pollinator type seeding that cost $300/acre+ and only 50% cost share. Time will tell with that. One thing for certain is CRP has changed with this farm bill. As I have stated before Iowa is somewhat to blame as our legislators listened to their constituents and the high rental rates competed with BF access to land and took productive ground out of production.

The farm bill was the ulitimate way to give all party’s what they wanted. Conservation groups received the increase in acres they want. Big farm wanted it removed from competition taking the higher rent away did that. It is interesting to debate the necessity of Crp most people don’t realize the government is on the hook for crop land no matter what cover type it’s in. Think of the cost to tax payer this spring of the 5 million prevent plant acres in the corn belt .

The farm bill was the ulitimate way to give all party’s what they wanted. Conservation groups received the increase in acres they want. Big farm wanted it removed from competition taking the higher rent away did that. It is interesting to debate the necessity of Crp most people don’t realize the government is on the hook for crop land no matter what cover type it’s in. Think of the cost to tax payer this spring of the 5 million prevent plant acres in the corn belt .
My opinion is that if CRP is not in the ballpark on rates there will be less CRP acres getting enrolled and much of the expiring contracts back into production. The old adage of "follow the money" to understand why most things happen and how people make decisions.

Time will tell I suppose

Side note: I am surprised CRP has not tried to implement some variable rate ideas that tracks with crop rental rates instead of locking things down for 10-15 years.

Another example of how it changes had a farm that I used to own bought it as cattle pasture. Put about 20 acres in 15 years ago planted all the riparian buffer tree planting my self. The rate was 89.20 which was the marginal pasture rate. This land has no crop history. Went in today to discuss reenrollment the reenrollment rate “rent x90%”. The new rate is 59.20 an acre. And the worst part if there are areas that don’t have enough trees per acre the cost is 100% on the landowner. This is Appanoose County.

Top Bottom