Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2018 Rut report

Terribly slow morning and deer running wild this afternoon. Gotta catch big boys between does or have hit doe bring him in at this point

Didn’t see much on stand, but got pics of this big 8 guarding a doe i the ditch at noon. Snow seemed to slow them down.
32aad73bdd7ee2555f5c06998d5c468b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone seeing anything? Its COLD!!! Still dead here, seen a few small bucks feeding through that's it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very slow today. Dunno why. Maybe does hiding from harassing bucks BUT- even buck movement a little slow. Maybe this weather change shocked em a little. ??? Hope it picks way up. Abnormally slow here.

Seen 3 different half racks, all 1 year olds. Testosterone is running high! Had one shooter in range but I'm not in the class of archers that can hit em at 128 mph. Maybe if I had Daver's new bow....

Last edited:
Nice big radish turnips and oats none touched last few nights. Where’s my does? All run off already by bucks. Or lured away to standing corn or shot(poached) off ? Probably a combination of all 3. More teens on the way then 50s. Can forget the brassica. Brassica soup.

incredible buck movement today. Been in the stand since 6:30 and I don't think I've sat down a total of 30 minutes all day. Both Target bucks have come through, even got drawn on one, but of course they don't offer a shot. I would estimate I have about 10-15 bucks that just keep circling through here.

Good for you. Ive hunted and froze for a week straight and haven't seen a shooter or much movement
Pretty horrible rut for me. Must be on long time lockdown.
I'm depressed.

Very quiet around my neck of the woods also. Only getting a few does on camera, no daylight movement the past week except for a few yearlings. I have not seen ANY rut activity, very strange year.

The rut is on in Winterset but today was very slow. Didn’t make it out early enough for sunrise but after 830 on was dead. About to sit for the evening hunt but not holding my breath. Weird day.

The rut is on in Winterset but today was very slow. Didn’t make it out early enough for sunrise but after 830 on was dead. About to sit for the evening hunt but not holding my breath. Weird day.
Yep. I'm just east of the water treatment facility and at first light had about 5 bucks come in to grunting ready to go. One good 8 point but I'm still holding out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Slow days r typical. Pick wrong spot & good days be slow or vice versa. This next 1-10 days some more giants will be seen and shot. Never know when. Patience! Good luck to all!

I've been guarding the same ridge for the last 6 mornings until between noon and 2. Have seen around 35 deer from the stand, mostly young bucks. Doe activity at the spot seems to have dropped off around Nov 1 and they have been scarce. Probably hanging close to some standing corn. I normally see 8 to 15 young bucks to every mature buck, so hopefully one of the big boys will roll through soon. Pott county.

Thurs cams were hot at my farm (but I didn't get there till Friday......) Friday, watched a shooter buck with a doe for close to three hours at 70, then 60, then 55 yrds, certain she would eventually come down the trail at 15 yrds to the brassica plot 30 yrds from my stand. Nope, she skirted me through thick stuff at 60 and entered the same plot out of range. Talk about a kick in the boys........

• Deleted by BJohnson
Show…
Saturday evening was pretty slow for me around the Earlham area which was a little surprising. There was a lot more activity Sunday morning. There has been a big guy tearing up there area im currently set at and I didnt see anything until about 8 and was mostly young guys looking for a date. None of the does seemed nervous or in a hurry at all really. About 930 I saw a good rack coming down the hill to the south of me ( I sit in a sort of a bowl along a small creek bottom) and he got to about 60 yards and started thrashing some brush and I thought he would come right down but a doe popped out to the south of him so he chased her a bit and then another doe popped out to the west of me about 80 yards away and she got his attention. She started be bopping down a trail right at me with big boy in tow and no matter which route she took, i was going to have a shot if he followed. She ended up crossing the creek about 10 yards in front of me and he stayed on the other side of the creek where it would have been maybe a 25 yard shot. I pull up and drew back and sort of readjust to get settled in and ive never had this happen before but somehow I hit the trigger on my release as i was getting settled and flung the arrow about 10 yards from him. :mad:o_O. He actually started coming back but further to the east and he winded me and blew off all the way to Adair county. What a helpless feeling. Im still not sure how it happened, I always keep my finger firmly behind the trigger for just this reason. I wear a mitten so i can just poke my trigger finger out when it comes time so maybe my mitten brushed it? Oh well id rather it happened this way i guess then just flat out miss. I least this way i can say i definitely would have got it if my release didnt "malfuntion" right? Thats why they call it hunting and not killing.

Saturday evening was pretty slow for me around the Earlham area which was a little surprising. There was a lot more activity Sunday morning. There has been a big guy tearing up there area im currently set at and I didnt see anything until about 8 and was mostly young guys looking for a date. None of the does seemed nervous or in a hurry at all really. About 930 I saw a good rack coming down the hill to the south of me ( I sit in a sort of a bowl along a small creek bottom) and he got to about 60 yards and started thrashing some brush and I thought he would come right down but a doe popped out to the south of him so he chased her a bit and then another doe popped out to the west of me about 80 yards away and she got his attention. She started be bopping down a trail right at me with big boy in tow and no matter which route she took, i was going to have a shot if he followed. She ended up crossing the creek about 10 yards in front of me and he stayed on the other side of the creek where it would have been maybe a 25 yard shot. I pull up and drew back and sort of readjust to get settled in and ive never had this happen before but somehow I hit the trigger on my release as i was getting settled and flung the arrow about 10 yards from him. :mad:o_O. He actually started coming back but further to the east and he winded me and blew off all the way to Adair county. What a helpless feeling. Im still not sure how it happened, I always keep my finger firmly behind the trigger for just this reason. I wear a mitten so i can just poke my trigger finger out when it comes time so maybe my mitten brushed it? Oh well id rather it happened this way i guess then just flat out miss. I least this way i can say i definitely would have got it if my release didnt "malfuntion" right? Thats why they call it hunting and not killing.

Lol, that's the kind of stuff that makes you pull out your hair. We've all been there in one way or another. Just this year, while at full draw, I made a soft mouth grunt to stop my target buck at 25 yards. He stopped for a split second and then suddenly sprinted 10 yards forward. After that, he calmly continued on into the doe bedding area. I have no idea why he reacted like that but I wont be stopping him next round.

Top Bottom