Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2019 Shotgun Buck GIANT 8

TheMadCatter

This story starts back in 2017 when I passed a 175"+ non-typical and noticed a typical eight-point that would stick around him constantly even during the rut. I had plenty of pictures of him going into 2018 but didn't run cameras as much in Iowa because last year I was focused on hunting out of state. I saw this buck on the hoof many times in 2018 and passed him many trying to focus on his non-typical buddy which was now 190" at this point. Unfortunately, I didn't seal the deal on the 190" buck and missed and didn't hear from him this year.

Fast forward to this spring, I was busy out west...again. I didn't shed hunt hard here and ended up getting a call from Dad "Hey, I found this big shed you might want to look at." I came down and saw it was one of the sides to the eight and he was really impressive! I went down right to where Dad found it in the tractor and found the other side with 10 yards.

I was pre-scouting our farm and saw him in velvet and knew he was a good buck but wasn't sure I wanted to shoot him. Then I ended up getting a bunch of trail camera pictures of him and decided to shoot him. I hunted archery and never saw him but was able to put my eyes on a couple of other deer previously unknown to me.

I've been hunting/guiding since August and before that most of my summer consisted of me immobilizing deer and elk. I have been hunting every weekend since the third weekend in August (Oregon Black Bear/Mountain Lion) and I can say I'm worn out! I wasn't going to hunt Thursday night but Dad insisted we go out. I grabbed an extra chair for the tower blind and we headed out. We got into the blind about 2:30 pm and noticed that there was a buck 221 yards away feeding in the standing soybeans. I raised my binos and instantly knew it was him! Less than 100 yards from where we found his sheds. 221 yards with the Optima and unfortunately I had to shoot him two more times and ended up hitting his G2.

I'm still finishing up the second season trying to get my best friend a deer, might hunt Missouri next week, and then it's off to Wyoming for a rifle cow elk hunt. When I'm finished with that I will be grinding trying to find a seasonal job either in Iowa (or close to here) and then I'll begin guiding in Colorado again at the beginning of September.

Big 8.jpg big82.jpg big83.jpg big84.jpg big85.jpg big86.jpg big87.jpg big89.jpg

What a great buck, mass , tall tines and he looks like he has a huge body. He also looks like he has a roman nose like and old warrior. Congrats on a great buck.

Congrats again bud that side profile picture really puts that beast into perspective with his mass. Very cool old buck!

Top Bottom