• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

2021: Strange deer year to date: My observations

madplotter

PMA Member
My observations in our area is a continuous deer herd decline. We have absolutely no deer driven crop damage. I have been amazed that the field edges of our beans are full right up to the outside row, which is something I have not witnessed in my hunting lifetime until the last 3-4 years. Who knows if this is driven by the modern hybrid/chemical practices or reduced numbers? I do know that I see fewer deer than I've seen in many years along the roads.

These are just my opinions so I would like to know if anyone else agrees...During shotgun the deer don't stand a chance with the high powers, bobcats are out of control, and the hunting pressure has been intense. I am not saying that the herd is in trouble by any means, it's just different.

I try to keep in mind that with the exception of the EHD disaster, there is no one explanation for loss/gain, it is an ebb and flow for various reasons. I have been so-so with my land management but I am getting better and I hope that will help help my hunting success. Last year I got to know a true trapper and a great predator trapper and he took 8 cats off our farm and connecting farms in November and December.

Thoughts?

Daver

PMA Member
My observations in our area is a continuous deer herd decline. We have absolutely no deer driven crop damage. I have been amazed that the field edges of our beans are full right up to the outside row, which is something I have not witnessed in my hunting lifetime until the last 3-4 years. Who knows if this is driven by the modern hybrid/chemical practices or reduced numbers? I do know that I see fewer deer than I've seen in many years along the roads.

These are just my opinions so I would like to know if anyone else agrees...During shotgun the deer don't stand a chance with the high powers, bobcats are out of control, and the hunting pressure has been intense. I am not saying that the herd is in trouble by any means, it's just different.

I try to keep in mind that with the exception of the EHD disaster, there is no one explanation for loss/gain, it is an ebb and flow for various reasons. I have been so-so with my land management but I am getting better and I hope that will help help my hunting success. Last year I got to know a true trapper and a great predator trapper and he took 8 cats off our farm and connecting farms in November and December.

Thoughts?
I don't have a sense for how many deer a given bobcat will catch in a year...but I do know that I come across 2-3 fawn carcasses/remains every year. It could be coyotes too, but our neighborhood has never had an abundance of yotes, I suspect that is the product of a couple of very active hound hunting groups in my area.

So my hunch is that these unfortunate fawns are being nabbed by the more prevalent bobs. I wish I could say that my crops had escaped the deer herd...the corn certainly did not. I am going to go to war on the does this year...once the temps get more favorable, that is. :)

madplotter

PMA Member
I don't have a sense for how many deer a given bobcat will catch in a year...but I do know that I come across 2-3 fawn carcasses/remains every year. It could be coyotes too, but our neighborhood has never had an abundance of yotes, I suspect that is the product of a couple of very active hound hunting groups in my area.

So my hunch is that these unfortunate fawns are being nabbed by the more prevalent bobs. I wish I could say that my crops had escaped the deer herd...the corn certainly did not. I am going to go to war on the does this year...once the temps get more favorable, that is. :)
Thanks for your thoughts Daver. I will say, coon do way more damage to corn than deer in our area. Coon are completely out of control.

Top Bottom