Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2021: Strange deer year to date: My observations

My observations in our area is a continuous deer herd decline. We have absolutely no deer driven crop damage. I have been amazed that the field edges of our beans are full right up to the outside row, which is something I have not witnessed in my hunting lifetime until the last 3-4 years. Who knows if this is driven by the modern hybrid/chemical practices or reduced numbers? I do know that I see fewer deer than I've seen in many years along the roads.

These are just my opinions so I would like to know if anyone else agrees...During shotgun the deer don't stand a chance with the high powers, bobcats are out of control, and the hunting pressure has been intense. I am not saying that the herd is in trouble by any means, it's just different.

I try to keep in mind that with the exception of the EHD disaster, there is no one explanation for loss/gain, it is an ebb and flow for various reasons. I have been so-so with my land management but I am getting better and I hope that will help help my hunting success. Last year I got to know a true trapper and a great predator trapper and he took 8 cats off our farm and connecting farms in November and December.

Thoughts?

My observations in our area is a continuous deer herd decline. We have absolutely no deer driven crop damage. I have been amazed that the field edges of our beans are full right up to the outside row, which is something I have not witnessed in my hunting lifetime until the last 3-4 years. Who knows if this is driven by the modern hybrid/chemical practices or reduced numbers? I do know that I see fewer deer than I've seen in many years along the roads.

These are just my opinions so I would like to know if anyone else agrees...During shotgun the deer don't stand a chance with the high powers, bobcats are out of control, and the hunting pressure has been intense. I am not saying that the herd is in trouble by any means, it's just different.

I try to keep in mind that with the exception of the EHD disaster, there is no one explanation for loss/gain, it is an ebb and flow for various reasons. I have been so-so with my land management but I am getting better and I hope that will help help my hunting success. Last year I got to know a true trapper and a great predator trapper and he took 8 cats off our farm and connecting farms in November and December.

Thoughts?
I don't have a sense for how many deer a given bobcat will catch in a year...but I do know that I come across 2-3 fawn carcasses/remains every year. It could be coyotes too, but our neighborhood has never had an abundance of yotes, I suspect that is the product of a couple of very active hound hunting groups in my area.

So my hunch is that these unfortunate fawns are being nabbed by the more prevalent bobs. I wish I could say that my crops had escaped the deer herd...the corn certainly did not. I am going to go to war on the does this year...once the temps get more favorable, that is. :)

I don't have a sense for how many deer a given bobcat will catch in a year...but I do know that I come across 2-3 fawn carcasses/remains every year. It could be coyotes too, but our neighborhood has never had an abundance of yotes, I suspect that is the product of a couple of very active hound hunting groups in my area.

So my hunch is that these unfortunate fawns are being nabbed by the more prevalent bobs. I wish I could say that my crops had escaped the deer herd...the corn certainly did not. I am going to go to war on the does this year...once the temps get more favorable, that is. :)
Thanks for your thoughts Daver. I will say, coon do way more damage to corn than deer in our area. Coon are completely out of control.

Top Bottom