Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2021 TeenageHunter's Adventure Log

Headed out to Wyoming to start a 21 day shed hunt. Ended up talking with my buddy from Florida over weekend and he invited me down to kill an Oceola, Hogs, and do some bow fishing. I’ll be headed there April 14, then I’ll be back the 20th and head out to Wyoming to spend another month shed hunting before heading to Alaska!

My good spots aren’t open until May 1st, but, out of 3 total days of walking I’ve found 31 antlers.

Miles: 91.2
Sheds: 41/200 Goal
Dead Heads: 2
ADD89675-79A7-4A64-82E1-2F6AFC651921.jpeg

Gotta ask, how can a young fella like you afford all this travel?

First off, I have ZERO debt other than in April/May when I max out my credit cards (FYI call your credit card companies, they'll normally give a special promotion for 4-5 months NO INTEREST which is AWESOME, or buy $500 worth of stuff at Scheels) to apply for Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Moose tags across the nation. Normally I'd have a job right now, but, unfortunately, due to field seasons being canceled due to COVID and fewer funds from Universities it's been harder to secure a position for the summer. Last year it was easier because I was only an hour and a half drive to my main shed hunting areas and I had weekends off and could get Fridays off sometimes too. I decided I would work for a reputable hunting outfitter in Alaska for the Spring Bear season as a test run to see how enjoyable fall packing up there for Dall Sheep, Moose, Mountain Goat, and Grizzly might be. During these break periods, I'm able to travel around on a low budget (just $50-100 a week on food and $0-$60 a week on gas) which if you save up enough in a month that's nothing. I've been lucky enough to not have any expensive truck repairs and my truck has been super reliable even after paying it off.

My monthly expenses consist of health insurance, phone, and truck insurance NOTHING else. I don't have a mortgage/rent so I'm able to use all those extra funds for hunting because when I'm guiding or working in field housing I don't have to pay for any of it. I spend and budget out my hunts over a year in advance like next year I'll be in Greenland hunting Muskox/Caribou and nothing else unless I draw a Moose, Mountain Goat, or Bighorn tag. For most of my hunts, I'm able to go with others who help split the costs of gas, food, etc. and that helps out a bunch too.

I'm absolutely sure 90% of the people on this forum make more than I do in a year, I just have decided to spend it differently (or have the ability to).

To recap, I have zero debt (worked summer jobs to pay off my college, rest was covered by scholarships), no rent/mortgage, I'm single, I'm great at budgeting and figuring out EXACT costs of hunting trips, have breaks in between each hunting season in the fall and can plan my hunts in between those seasons (Colorado), and thus knowing my schedule a year or two in advance and how much I need to save for it.

Ended up getting a Jake first thing this morning on public land, nobody took me up on my swap offer. I'll have the video up in a week from Saturday, I'm uploading videos once a week every Saturday now. I'm going to try for my Grand Slam in a year for the fun of it. No idea about spur/beard size, he was too small to even care much about it. Just glad I was able to get my first Iowa Public Land bird!

turkey1.jpeg
Turkey.jpeg

First off, I have ZERO debt other than in April/May when I max out my credit cards (FYI call your credit card companies, they'll normally give a special promotion for 4-5 months NO INTEREST which is AWESOME, or buy $500 worth of stuff at Scheels) to apply for Sheep, Mountain Goat, and Moose tags across the nation. Normally I'd have a job right now, but, unfortunately, due to field seasons being canceled due to COVID and fewer funds from Universities it's been harder to secure a position for the summer. Last year it was easier because I was only an hour and a half drive to my main shed hunting areas and I had weekends off and could get Fridays off sometimes too. I decided I would work for a reputable hunting outfitter in Alaska for the Spring Bear season as a test run to see how enjoyable fall packing up there for Dall Sheep, Moose, Mountain Goat, and Grizzly might be. During these break periods, I'm able to travel around on a low budget (just $50-100 a week on food and $0-$60 a week on gas) which if you save up enough in a month that's nothing. I've been lucky enough to not have any expensive truck repairs and my truck has been super reliable even after paying it off.

My monthly expenses consist of health insurance, phone, and truck insurance NOTHING else. I don't have a mortgage/rent so I'm able to use all those extra funds for hunting because when I'm guiding or working in field housing I don't have to pay for any of it. I spend and budget out my hunts over a year in advance like next year I'll be in Greenland hunting Muskox/Caribou and nothing else unless I draw a Moose, Mountain Goat, or Bighorn tag. For most of my hunts, I'm able to go with others who help split the costs of gas, food, etc. and that helps out a bunch too.

I'm absolutely sure 90% of the people on this forum make more than I do in a year, I just have decided to spend it differently (or have the ability to).

To recap, I have zero debt (worked summer jobs to pay off my college, rest was covered by scholarships), no rent/mortgage, I'm single, I'm great at budgeting and figuring out EXACT costs of hunting trips, have breaks in between each hunting season in the fall and can plan my hunts in between those seasons (Colorado), and thus knowing my schedule a year or two in advance and how much I need to save for it.
Straight up awesome. Living the dream. Most people don't have the brains or balls to do this (I know I don't). Tip of the cap to ya.

Got it done in Florida on my first Oceola the first morning! Been having a rough time getting hogs, but, still having fun!

9.5” Beard with 3/4” and 1” Spurs!

6BF46461-75DB-4ABD-A087-91220C901415.jpg

Attachments

• 75EEB58B-6B1D-4876-845B-9E2E89AE6156.jpg
    75EEB58B-6B1D-4876-845B-9E2E89AE6156.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 30
Even though I can't eat the lil' sucker, I still helped out with the hog issue (not by much at all) Quartered it out for a nice ol' lady who loves pork. The video will be up in two weeks! In the meantime watch out for my fake news video...

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.59.15 AM.png

DA92E57A-9EA8-4F8C-B147-0C8CF127CFDC.jpeg4B0A4ECC-1BE0-46D6-9725-8619F02B816C.jpeg
Got it done on my Merriam’s turkey here in Wyoming, had a surprise while helping my buddy try to get a bird. The rattler didn’t give me a warning and I had to shoot him three times at point blank.

I have a bunch more stuff I did these last couple of weeks, just didn't have the time to post. I'll get on it this week!

Miles: 192.3
Sheds: 166
Dead Heads: 5

sheds 1.jpeg

I was able to fill my 4th season Iowa shotgun tag in the downpour over in Eastern Iowa too! The hunt was on public land and it took forever for the birds to come over to the decoys. Unfortunately, I didn't get the shot on video. He ended up flying off into the trees and I found him underneath a tree. After walking back to the blind I found a shed in the corn field about 5 steps away from the decoys.

Spurs
1 1/4"
1 3/4"

Beard
11.5"

Turkey1.jpeg
Turkey2.jpeg

Top Bottom