Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2021 wrap up

Fishbonker

Life Member
Here is a brief synopsis of the bills that had threads.

HJR8/SJR16 The right to hunt, fish trap and harvest wildlife

This was a proposed amendment to Iowa’s constitution. Neither bill made it to a full committee. It is a perennial bill and it will return.

HSB 157 Using dogs while fur harvesting

This bill became HF557. The bill’s purpose was to limit free casting of dogs. It would also have added “on foot” while pursuing wounded game. There was an amendment proposed that would have changed some rules regarding hunting licenses revocation points system. This bill was introduced but no action was taken. I believe this bill was worked on and refined by a couple of stakeholder groups. I thought it would pass as it is a hot topic for some lawmakers and their constituents.

HSB 158 Crossbows in late archery season

This bill would have allowed the use of a crossbow to fill an archery tag in late season. It passed a subcommittee 3-0 but was not heard by the full committee. No other actions were taken. This will be back next year in some form or other.

HF 22 Black bear hunting

This bill would have added black bears to the list of game animals in Iowa, and therefore protected them from being harassed (shot) when seen. It is interesting that in recent weeks there have been news stories about how many black bears may move into Iowa in the coming years. Again, a bill I thought was a slam dunk to pass. It was introduced and referred to the Natural Resources Committee but no action was taken.

HF 23 Dog tracking clean up

This bill eventually became HF 552, it was passed by both chambers and signed by the Governor. The law takes effect 07/01/2021. The bill will make it legal to use leashed dogs to track wounded deer. There is a clause in the bill that stipulates the Natural Resources Commission may make rules concerning the tracking of wounded deer which keeps it out of the legislature.

HF 60 NR tag allocation for outfitters

This bill would have taken 500 NR deer tags and set them aside for outfitters. It was eventually renumbered HF 806 after it was amended to include the definition of an outfitter. The bill in its amended form was referred back to the committee and no further action was taken. We will see this or something very similar to this again.

HF 94 Shooting from inside vehicle on a roadway while pursuing game. This bill was originally a Public Safety Committee bill. It passed that committee and was renumbered as HF 798 then referred to the Natural Resources Committee. The bill passed the Committee and the House, it was sent to the Senate where it was assigned to the Natural Recourses and Environment Committee, it was assigned to a subcommittee but the subcommittee did not meet, therefore no further action was taken.

HF 95 Disabled hunters shooting from vehicles

This bill would have made it illegal to shoot game from a snowmobile or ATV, unless a hunter was disabled. Wording from the bill’s explanation states that “Current law generally prohibits discharging a firearm from a snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle”. I have heard that some concealed carry permit holders that are not disabled are shooting from inside their vehicles, snowmobiles and ATVs at game and currently there aren’t any laws to stop that. This bill and the one above are aimed at closing that loop hole. The bill was introduced as a Public Safety Committee bill. No action was taken on this bill.

HF 140 ATV bill

This bill would have required proof of insurance to operate an ATV on a roadway among other things. It was introduced as a Transportation Committee bill, a subcommittee recommended indefinite postponement.

HF 147 non ambulatory method of take

This bill eventually became HF 551, it passed the House and was sent to the Senate where an amendment was added that would make it legal for non ambulatory hunters to use guns during the bow only season. It was sent back to the House, the House filed the same amendment but took no further action. This bill can be brought back up at anytime next year by rule.

HF 290 Casting of dogs

The bill was introduced and no action was taken. This was very similar to HF557.

HF 406, Methods of take during NR holiday season

This was introduced, passed a subcommittee, passed full committee and was renumbered as HF 550. On 2/16/21 it was placed on the House calendar then on 4/15/21 in was referred back to the committee. This makes it eligible to be brought back any time next year by rule.

HF 544 Iowa's Water and Land Legacy

Introduced, referred to Ways and Means, no further action was taken.

HF 647 Restore the Outdoors Fund

Introduced to Natural Resources, approved by the committee, renumbered HF 749. It was then referred to the Appropriations Committee, a subcommittee was assigned but no further action was taken.

HF 665 Tracking wounded deer

This bill was introduced, sent to Natural Resources and no action was taken. It was an odd bill. Raised more questions than it answered.

HF 666 Tree stands on public ground

Introduced, referred to Natural Resources, no further action was taken. This bill would have required a set back for deer stands on public hunting ground from adjacent private ground.

SSB 1066 Goose hunting

Introduced, referred to the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, subcommittee assigned, subcommittee recommended indefinite postponement. This is another perennial bill.

SSB 1067 Teal and duck seasons

Introduced, referred to the natural Resources and Environment Committee, subcommittee assigned, no further action was taken.

SF 39 and 40 Disabled Veterans

Both of these bills were introduced to Veterans Affairs, both had a subcommittee assigned, SF 39 had no further action, the SF 40 subcommittee recommended passage but no further action was taken. These bills had to do with lifetime hunting and fishing licenses. SF40 would have allowed a disabled veteran to hunt without a license but would need to show proof of disability to a Conservation Officer checking for licenses. SF 39 would allow disabled veterans to apply for a lifetime hunting and fishing license.

SF 427 An Act related to deer population management

This bill was introduced and referred to the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, it was passed and renumbered as SF 464. It was referred to Ways and Means where it was passed and renumbered as SF 581, it went to the full Senate and passed 32-14. The bill was then sent to the House, referred to the Ways and means Committee and no further action was taken. This bill had more lives than a cat. We would hear it was dead only to see it come back to life several times. In the final Senate form the single constituent retroactive reimbursement was dropped and the fine for shooting a doe was increased to $500. Why did the House kill the bill? Actually, I believe the bill can come back to life yet again next year in the same form, but why did the House not take any action? Did they see the poop storm that was unleashed on the bill’s sponsor and not want the storm to rain poop down on them? That is my hope, but here is my fear: To my memory crossbow bills have traditionally come through the House. Perhaps the leaders in the House will give us a choice, do we want a kill ‘em all bill or a crossbow bill? Pick your poison. I hope that isn’t a choice that will need to be made but both the Farm Bureau and the crossbow industry appear to have deep pockets.

Senator Rozenboom, in his remarks on the Senate floor, made it very clear that this isn’t the last bill he will sponsor on deer control.

SF 465 Littering

Introduced and referred to the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, passed full committee, renumbered as SF 465. Put on the Senate calendar then referred back to the committee. No further action was taken. This bill is eligible to come back next year. The bill would make it possible to lose hunting, fishing and trapping privileges if convicted of littering on DNR controlled ground.

SF 587 forest reserve

This bill started out as SSB 1253, it was introduced and referred to the Ways and Means Committee, it passed the full committee and was renumbered as SF 587 and was once again passed by Ways and Means. The bill was then referred to Appropriations where passage was recommended. It was moved to the unfinished business calendar. It was brought to the floor and passed 30-17. It was sent to the House where it was introduced and referred to the Ways and Means Committee. No further action was taken on the bill. This was an omnibus tax bill, meaning it covered a lot of ground. The forest reserve and charitable donation parts were just a very small part of it. The forest reserve exemption has also become a perennial issue. It will be back but perhaps in a different form.

Those are all the bills that were listed in threads here. If you have any questions about them or if I missed something please let me know.

I tried to convey a timeline to show what political gamesmanship can be played by moving bills from committee to committee. Take SF 427, the kill ‘em all bill. It went through three different committees while its sponsor(s) tried to drum up support for the bill. Every time it was dead another move was made or deal was struck and it eventually passed the Senate. The outfitter 500 tag bill was the same way. They moved it back to the committee so they can dust it off and bring it back next year. It doesn’t mean that it will resurface but it could and it would start where it left off this year.

If you can’t sleep or have nothing better to do here is a link to a list of all the bills that were passed and sent to the Governor for her signature: EVERYTHING THAT PASSED 2021

One last thing, I didn't make a thread about it but a life time trout stamp was passed for us old guys who can't remember to purchase licenses every year.

Rozen-Doom & all like him need to be primaried!!!!!!! Embarrassment to our state, even to politics & to the republicans. Lots of D’s doing a far better job & backing sportsmen. If you want “R’s” to lose- this guy is the poster child of how to lose the state. If u r a “D” - your side did a better job overall on sportsman’s issues & issues around our natural resources. Let’s call a spade a spade here. TRUTH! Sell out political hacks need to go!!! Props to the true protectors of our state & conservationists on both sides!!

Thanks so much for the info! I suspect our toughest fight in the next few years will be “crossgun creep”.
Without a doubt the Xgun and the two big hitters that we fought and defeated will come back! Granted others will show up that won’t be expected because people just can’t grasp what makes Iowa great and how to keep it this way.
Great job Bonk on all the updates and let’s all enjoy the upcoming deer season.

I posted this on our IW social media pages & discuss this with folks who are involved with our legislation & politics in iowa. More of the public needs to care about this stuff. & understand it. I wish & hope a fraction of the masses can take 5 minutes away from the time wasting Fakebook, Tiktock, IG, etc - all the garbage out there..... use a few brain cells to understand the big issues our state faces with these dirt bags pushing this crap. I’m a happy warrior & positive person but.... the sell out politicians & clueless dumbed down public needs Both a major cleansing of priorities & mind.... & smack to the backs of their heads to WAKE UP!!!!!
08FB4ECA-5F8C-4667-9A25-D3434609729F.jpeg

I posted this on our IW social media pages & discuss this with folks who are involved with our legislation & politics in iowa. More of the public needs to care about this stuff. & understand it. I wish & hope a fraction of the masses can take 5 minutes away from the time wasting Fakebook, Tiktock, IG, etc - all the garbage out there..... use a few brain cells to understand the big issues our state faces with these dirt bags pushing this crap. I’m a happy warrior & positive person but.... the sell out politicians & clueless dumbed down public needs Both a major cleansing of priorities & mind.... & smack to the backs of their heads to WAKE UP!!!!!View attachment 120902

If we are going to highlight the Republicans who push this stuff, we should also mention the special interests behind the those politicians. I understand this is Iowa and the importance of farming/agriculture. But we are not fully addressing the issue if we do include the Farm Bureau in this. They are a major part of the problem.

If we are going to highlight the Republicans who push this stuff, we should also mention the special interests behind the those politicians. I understand this is Iowa and the importance of farming/agriculture. But we are not fully addressing the issue if we do include the Farm Bureau in this. They are a major part of the problem.
Agree!!!!!!!
Call it how it is!!!!!..... these POLITICIANS are OWNED by FARM BUREAU!!!!!!! Then we have these companies like the crossbow companies who hire, often times, teams/multiple LOBBYISTS to get their $ interests through. It goes on & on.
BUT!!!!!!...... with these facts known - the public are the ones that can stop it. Wake up. This is one of the last great states & a fragile system - if folks can’t take 60 seconds to understand this or write in - it won’t last. That’s just the reality.
We still have some good folks at capital, Groups fighting for us (IBA!!!!!!) & concerned/informed citizens ..... but we need to do more than just be on defense.....

Top Bottom