Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

22 mag

This is an interesting story of my friend. He says; "My father, older brother and I were generously invited by our neighbors and good friends to hunt on their preserve the first day of buck season. In choosing where to stand that first morning, we were trying to stay away from where the owner and other hunters would be, so we positioned ourselves near a spot where my dad found a rub line and a big scrape which was above the fields where Rough Ridge food plots were planted. We got into position before daylight, just barely. It was a steep hike and the brush was thick, going over and under fallen trees. The wind was blowing, it was spitting rain, and hard to hear with the rustling leaves of the trees. The thick laurel made it difficult to see and it was hard to hear approaching wildlife because of the wet ground. At 9 a.m. Dad called us on the radio to check in since he hadn’t heard any shots. We weren’t very far apart so it was obvious none of us had seen anything. We agreed he would check in with us in 15 minutes to let us know where we were going to move to next. And this is when everything started to happen. Dad had just put his radio down, looked up, and saw a whitetail buck run down through the laurel. It stopped right in front of him – a little 3 point. The buck winded him and took off running. He looked up again and here comes another buck through the laurel. It was legal, a 5 point, and since he hadn’t had a shot at a buck in 3 years, he took it. Standing there, having heard Dad’s shot, it was now about 9:15 and I was waiting for Dad to call on the radio about his kill when I heard a deer coming through the laurel. I grabbed my gun, turned around and waited to see if anything was coming down to me. And there he was. A GIANT deer popped out of the laurel and stopped 9 yards from me and just stood there. He stared at me. I stared at him. I’m waiting for the right time to pull my gun up, all the while thinking… don’t screw this up, don’t’ screw this up. He raised his one leg like he was getting ready to run away but he just kind of turned real slow and trotted away to my left, quartering back up the mountain. I seized the opportunity and pulled up real fast- got on him- took a shot. It was a heart shot but I didn’t know that at the time. He started running off to the left, through the laurel and I pulled up again and took a second shot. I was pulling the trigger about the same time I was pumping the gun. I moved up the mountain real fast to see if I could see where he went. I saw him stop in the laurel and come back over himself and I shot again because I wasn’t sure how good my first 2 shots were and I knew I didn’t want him to go anywhere! From the first shot he only went about 30 yards to the fall spot. I went over to make sure this giant was down and called Dad on the radio. Dad was just putting his coat back on from field dressing his buck and tagging it, when he heard 2 shots in quick cessation. He later told me he never heard two shots that close together before! He knew the shot came from the direction I was at and quickly responded to the radio and asked, “Did you get anything?” I said, “Dad, you’re not going to believe what I shot! This thing is HUGE!”. “How big is it?” Dad asked. I quickly replied, “It’s a 10 point! It’s a 12 point! No, it’s a 14 or 15 point!” My father says he will never, ever forget that response as long as he lives! And I will never forget his reply, “Clearly you’ve lost your mind. I’ll be right over”. When I walked over to the buck, my Dad was right… I had clearly lost my mind when I saw the buck laying there. It was indeed a 14 point – would have been 15 but the one point was broken half off. Dad said it was not only the biggest rack he had ever seen on this mountain, it was also the biggest body whitetail deer as well. Field dressed, it weighed in at 160 lbs. It was a painful drag over and under logs, kicking through logs, Dad dragging his “small” deer while also helping me by pushing along the back end of my “big” buck. Thankfully the owner caught up to us with his mule and carried both deer down the rest of the mountain as we rode along with other hunters in the back. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity afforded me in being able to hunt on this land where Rough Ridge food plots and minerals were being used. I have the proof that it WORKS! I’ve never experienced an adrenalin rush equal to this one! My heart didn’t quit pounding for three days! Hunting trophy bucks of this size brings a whole new level of fun, anticipation and excitement to whitetail hunting season."

Believe it or not Scheels in Cedar Falls special ordered me a rifle last year the week after Christmas and I had it early the next week. I'm not saying this is the norm there but it's worth a try.

Got a new toy for myself for x-mas. Savage 22mag, went with right hand since I have never used a Left hand model.

Top Bottom