Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd yr switchgrass!

Wi transplant

PMA Member
Sprayed my beans and checked a couple plots of my 2nd yr switchgrass looking awesome! Approx 3 to 4ft tall buy 3 week of june!! Should be perfect buy sept.!!
2dceb77eac45c77ad9d3d89368f46142.jpg
28f33ef31a7db95b1d2f973d3f28a92b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looks great! I'm coming into my 3rd year of a warm season grass planting and it's pretty sparse. Wondering if I should now it (farmer will hay it for me) or wait and burn again next spring?

Well I had lots of issues with fox tail last yr in this plot and again this year so today I mowed all areas heavy with foxtail to 6in and hope the switchgrass will out grow it next 2 months ! You can see good 2nd yr in right side of pic and what foxtail has done on the left!
fc91288fb62b3691f3428dc67f929f82.jpg

I think i would spray with quinclorac.

I'm surprised you have a problem with foxtail in year 2. In my experience it usually is only a problem for a year.

When is 1st yr switchgrass ok to spray with quinclorac? Frost seeded this spring so I'm sure there's young stuff in here? I think I need to!!

Did you spray weeds/grasses the spring of the 2nd year? I have a first year of Cave in Rock. Sprayed 4 times last year either with gly or 2-4D. Frost seeded at the end of November. This spring I hit with simazine before green up, and then gly & 2-4D after green up and prior to soil temps hitting 50 degrees. I thought I killed it with my gly & 2-4D application because the plot did nothing until July. Now I have sections with first year SG over 6' in spots where I know I broadcasted heavier. The areas I lightly seeded I am dealing with grasses and ragweed. I mowed the areas with heaviest weeds/grasses in August to 6". Trying to determine herbicide application and timing for spraying next spring in my trouble areas without doing more damage than good.

Top Bottom