Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.35 caliber or larger for gun 1 & 2

With the law now allowing .35 and larger what is some good options? I was looking at 35 whelen or the 375 ruger but don't know much about the calibers .35 and larger growing up with shotgun only as the norm. I am sure there are a bunch of options. I am looking for a gun for 0 - 400yrds lethal capability. 35 whelen looks to be +2" high at 100yrds, 0 at 200yrds, and -9" at 300yrds seems good. But once again looking for some other opinions

Thanks

I briefly thought about building a full up custom 35 Whelen but the regs would probably change before it was built LOL.
If I needed to shoot long range, I already have an Arrowhead built Remi 700 .45 cal SML.

Isn’t the .35 Whelen necked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct...but legal per regs. As well as others that are not straight walled.

I still don't understand why the S&W 40 is allowed. It's a pooch. More like an injury.

I have to agree with stoney, get a smokeless if you want to shoot out to 400 yards. I don't think the straight wall cartridges that are legal would be a very good option for that long of range.

Does anyone in Iowa really need to be shooting 400 yds. at an animal that can move at any time? I guess I don't see the ethical or sporting part of it anymore at that point. Same people that will be mad in 5 years when our deer herd declines and the biggest buck you see all year is 120 inches. With that said I agree there is no other weapon that could reasonably touch 400 yds. that is currently legal other than a smokeless muzzleloader.

Does anyone in Iowa really need to be shooting 400 yds. at an animal that can move at any time? I guess I don't see the ethical or sporting part of it anymore at that point. Same people that will be mad in 5 years when our deer herd declines and the biggest buck you see all year is 120 inches. With that said I agree there is no other weapon that could reasonably touch 400 yds. that is currently legal other than a smokeless muzzleloader.
You could shoot a mile with a 50 cal or 416 barrett. The legislators basically got tricked by IFC if you ask me. Make no mistake, they'll be pushing full rifle inclusion next.

I think it’s already too late! Every year the mature bucks will decline! Gotta love the straight wall cartridge law! Make everything easier…. I guess that’s the time we live in

Last edited:
Correct...but legal per regs. As well as others that are not straight walled.

I still don't understand why the S&W 40 is allowed. It's a pooch. More like an injury.
I forgot it wasn't strictly straight wall, that they specifically listed some rounds. Shows my general lack of interest in guns I don't have. I did pick up a second season shotgun tag last night. Got the T/C Impact and gear packed. I will be limiting shots to under 100 yards, even though it's a tack driver at 100.

I think it’s already too late! Every year the mature bucks will decline! Gotta love the straight wall cartridge wall law! Make everything easier…. I guess that’s the time we live in
Sadly, I think you are right. I have never been persuaded that the best way to improve hunter recruitment is to continue to make things easier and easier, so as to increase participation. I very much wanted my sons to develop a love for hunting, fishing, woodworking, etc, etc...BUT...as their dad, I didn't teach the "easy" route.

They had to work some, do some penance of sorts to be able to EARN the opportunity to pull the trigger, etc. I'll just say that I think this approach worked for my family and I suspect it would work for many others as well.

I briefly thought about building a full up custom 35 Whelen but the regs would probably change before it was built LOL.
If I needed to shoot long range, I already have an Arrowhead built Remi 700 .45 cal SML.
I have a sml as well just thought a new gun sounds fun

We all have to remember,…. We can complain about dudes using the guns or any weapons all we want. Rightfully so. But many will say “I want as much advantage as the law allows” - even if they despise the laws. The MAJORITY of everyday hunters do NOT understand or care about these laws. If u told them they could hunt with nightvision on an AR, until midnight - on a corn pile - they would. That’s the problem or the line we need to draw- we can’t allow more weapons or seasons!!!! If we allow them and then the un-educated public goes bananas with them, degrades the deer herd…. I actually blame the politicians & special interests more than the hunters that utilize this insanity.
Make no mistake…. If I started the “Iowa Trappers Coalitian” & hired lobbyists to make it legal to trap deer…… if it were legal- there would be a pile of guys trapping deer. Anything u can do to legally kill deer or any animal - a portion of the public will utilize it immediately. High power rifles. Killing deer until February - u name it- legalize it - folks will use it!!! & make no mistake - u start legalizing high power rifles on gun drives in iowa……. Plenty will use them & the politicians & special interests will be dead silent when bullets hit houses & hunters are killed. It will happen. Could it happen with shotguns as well? Sure. Will it be vastly more prevalent with high power rifles that can shoot miles?? Absolutely!!!! If it passes (& even short wall gun groups with AR’s) pushing deer with Groups that are shooting at running deer- hunters will be killed in higher #’s if this passes. You will have a guy in your area die because of this at some point. There’s dozens of reasons why this is a bad idea…. & the quality of iowas herd being degraded is a huge one of them!! The reason FOR doing it is ONE: MONEY!!!!!!!
BOTTOM LINE: NO MORE SEASONS, WEAPONS, Etc!!!!!!! 4 months, 7 seasons, 6+ weapon choices & 7-8% timber in this state!!!

Sorry on the ADHD rant all over the board here.

To the main question…. Yes, .35 cal+ NECKED cartridges are legal. .35 whelen is probably gonna be one of the the flattest & fastest loads out to 400-500.

Last edited:
I see the problem with weapons being is it’s nothing more than a rabbit hole. Once it’s opened, it just keeps going. I’ve said it for quite awhile, I think it’s a “youth tag” situation. Oh- we didn’t get a deer in the time so let’s open it longer. (Yes, hunter recruitment, lack of time, I get it- but season is only so long as well, let’s teach that too)
Same with weapons- oh we can’t get it done with these, so let’s add more to kill more deer. Soon we will just have floating tags in general (hope not unless it’s a LOT).

Top Bottom