Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

350 Legend NOT Legal for Iowa Deer Hunting?

IAShooters

ok
just got off the phone with the IDNR and the official word is 350 Legend is NOT legal at this time. The law enforcement dept has tested and found that some of the ammo is slightly under SAAMI spec. IDNR have been in contact with Winchester and the IDNR said they will make an official ruling soon.

Ironically, the automated chat software on the IDNR website still says 350 is legal. They are going to correct that.

So, I guess we wait and see for 2019 season.

:(

When I heard about a .355 dia bullet, I was afraid something like this would happen. I think Winchester was very foolish not to go with a .357 bullet- that would mean better compatibility with existing calibers and no question about legality in states requiring a minimum bore diameter.

I’ll just keep fine-tuning my Bushy. If they ever pass standard rifle legislation (boy, I hope they don’t!!) there are better options than 350L and meanwhile, I have no complaints about 450 Bushmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would sure think they will just amend it to include the 350 legend. Case length on a 45-70, 444 marlin, 375win is to long but they are allowed. Should be an easy fix.

I emailed. No response. Don’t have time to just call, but that might be necessary

Recently sent to me.
682d26439c4cbeed07203e449653e37b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep, this is very unfortunate. This let's the manufacturers start engineering new cartridges that will be legal in Iowa but are WAY outside the intent of "straight wall stuff you shoot in a true handgun".

Once all rifles are legal during gun season (which won't be far off based in the rate we are going), the next step is putting them in the rut.

I think if you support all these new guns and want to keep it bow only in the rut, you are just kidding yourself.

Was this cartridge legal last season? I assumed not but just watched it used on TV in Iowa during the 2018 season and was kind of surprised

Was this cartridge legal last season? I assumed not but just watched it used on TV in Iowa during the 2018 season and was kind of surprised

This cartridge didn’t exist last season- it was just introduced at the S.H.O.T. show in January. Winchester had done some test hunts- I assume with permission? -but no one in the general public had access at that time.

This cartridge didn’t exist last season- it was just introduced at the S.H.O.T. show in January. Winchester had done some test hunts- I assume with permission? -but no one in the general public had access at that time.

It was the Drurys testing it for Winchester and creating a highlight reel of kills.

Top Bottom