Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.350 Legend

Shoot a deer through the lungs with a .22 and he dies very quickly.

There is no reason to think that a gun pushing a 150 grain soft pointed bullet is not capable of killing a deer.

It’s much like bows, people think more makes up for bad shots. Put it in the pumping station and you’ll be fine. The deer not so much.

I changed my mind and bought a 450 Bushmaster instead of the 350 Legend. If I and the kids don't like it, I'll pick up the 350 too. Not very expensive rifles.
Be sure those kids have hearing protection shooting any gun but especially that 450. One shot without and they will have hearing loss. Friend of mine shot his 450 out of his box blind and in the heat of the moment forgot his ear plugs. Said his ears were still ringing two months later. Sold the 450 and bought a 350.

Alright, now for another possibly stupid question. I just searched the Iowa regs for maximum round capacity for semi-auto rifles used during deer season, and I can't find that either. I thought it was 5 total rounds, so a 4 round magazine with 1 round in the chamber. Correct? If so, where's that stated in the regs? I rifle hunted SD once and had to buy a low round count magazine to legally hunt. I swear Iowa had that same regulation.

Alright, now for another possibly stupid question. I just searched the Iowa regs for maximum round capacity for semi-auto rifles used during deer season, and I can't find that either. I thought it was 5 total rounds, so a 4 round magazine with 1 round in the chamber. Correct? If so, where's that stated in the regs? I rifle hunted SD once and had to buy a low round count magazine to legally hunt. I swear Iowa had that same regulation.

They wanted to, but never got it pushed through to my knowledge.

A 6 round capacity restriction was proposed by the IA DNR, but never passed, correct? So, I can hunt deer in Iowa with a 30 round magazine in a .450 Bushmaster - AR15?! That's friggin sick! Complete overkill and adds to the carry weight, but sick! My shotgun has a capacity of 4 rounds.

Straight wall rifles are better if they have limited range (in my opinion) . If you can shoot past 200 yards, that defeats the purpose?

I’m hoping this doesn’t lead to any rifle you want . That would be devastating for Iowa!

A big part of hunting strategy is figuring out how to get close to the deer. If they don’t come close, then you can’t shoot them ? They live another day ?

Exactly. Long range is for wide open spaces and big land, the west. Keep the midwest short range. I wasn't happy with IL going this route because we already have too liberal of seasons (just like you IA guys are having to deal with), but the inability to buy good shotgun slugs looks has me now becoming a straight wall pupil.

I hear what you guys are saying. I think this was my 34th Iowa shotgun deer season, and I absolutely HATE that rifles were introduced into it. I figured it would be short lived, but what's it been now, about a decade? With that said, if you can't beat them, join them, I guess.

A 6 round capacity restriction was proposed by the IA DNR, but never passed, correct? So, I can hunt deer in Iowa with a 30 round magazine in a .450 Bushmaster - AR15?! That's friggin sick! Complete overkill and adds to the carry weight, but sick! My shotgun has a capacity of 4 rounds.
Anyone that needs more than 5 rounds in a semi-auto isn't really "hunting" in my opinion. That is just playing shooting games at live animals.

Anyone that needs more than 5 rounds in a semi-auto isn't really "hunting" in my opinion. That is just playing shooting games at live animals.
I'd rather have the option to use buck shot in Iowa over high-capacity semi-auto rifles.

I personally don't care for the AR platform in any caliber, just not something that catches my interest. Between the .450 and .350 Legend, I'd probably go for the Legend. I got a couple of smokeless ML's that give the .450 Bushmaster a run for the money (and exceed it) ballistically. Not interested in how fast I can shoot at and miss/wound an animal. Longest harvest shot with the SML was 170 yds and most likely won't take a shot like that again.

I used this option for my .350 Legend in 2022. I was very pleased, very accurate . It will be my go-to…

160 grain D6559492-B270-4F77-9EF3-7FE34E45C5E3.png

My family is split on 350L and 450B. I could bore you with who shot what, but every year we have harvested multiple deer with both AR’s (rifle and pistol) and bolt guns in both 350 Legend and 450 Bushmaster. You could hand me any gun in either caliber my family uses and I’d be content to head to the woods with it. I have to say, my daughter’s new CVA Cascade in 350 Legend is pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom