Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3rd Season Success

lunker99

Tagged my bird Wednesday evening. After setting up a blind for my brother and I to hunt the following morning went to scout another spot. Spotted some birds in the field and used the nearby creek to get into position. Turned out to be 2 jakes and a mature tom. Took a turkey fan to use for my decoy. Let out a couple of yelps and the group started heading my way. They slowly fed toward me with the two jakes in the lead and the tom following 50 yds behind them. While they were working my way I was slowly turning the fan side to side. Once the jakes got to 100 yds out, their mood changed and here they came on a dead run stopping 10 yds away at the edge of the field. The tom hadn't noticed and he was still slowly working my way. The jakes figured out something wasn't quite right but wouldn't leave either. I kept the fan between me and them while they were yards away still slowly turning it to catch the toms attention. Once he got to 50 yds out the switch flipped for him and here he came on a dead run. Difference was he didn't stop at the field edge, he was coming for a fight. Shot him at 5 yds in self defense otherwise he would have been standing on me, lol. As he lay after the shot.
Paul Turkey 2 2020.jpg

Had a brush for a beard
Paul Turkey 2020.jpg
Paul Turkey 3 2020.jpg

The next morning started out pretty foggy with a few distant gobbles and one bird that was close enough to respond to some tree yelps but wasn't as close as I like for working off the roost. Once that bird flew down never did hear it again so it had somewhere else to be. After that was pretty slow. Did have a hen with a pretty long beard come into the field that we got to watch feed for a while and a coyote that almost came into the decoys. Knew from history that we were in a good area that turkeys could show up at any time, but after a while we decided we were going to leave the blind to go work the turkeys we heard in the distance. I let out one last series of yelps to try to get something to gobble if it was in the area but no response. Told the brother I was going to go to the bathroom before we packed up so I snuck out the back of the blind. This is when things got interested as I had no sooner started relieving myself when my brother let me know that a tom had just run into the field and was coming in. I hunkered down where I was at and got to watch the show as the tom slowly worked his way into the decoys. He took his sweet time coming in and by the time he finally got into range brothers nerves couldn't take it any more and he let him have it before the tom got all the way to the decoys.

Richard Turkey 2020.jpg

Top Bottom