Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

450 Bushmaster Bullets

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
New to the straight wall game. What's everyone running for 450 bullets? I picked up some Barnes at Scheels because I've always had great luck with their performance in muzzy bullets and shotgun sabots. Well on the little guys deer it was a pine hole in, hit alot of bone, and was like the tip of my pinky going out. I've seen some holes that you could put a golf ball through. Curious what everyone is running.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Shooting Hornady STS s ammunition out of a Burris scoped 450 bushmaster. Have shot probably 6 deer with the gun and it's like shooting a sledge hammer. I rarely have an exit would, Because I always shoot through the shoulder. And they don't go more than 30 yards.

I've been using that "black" ammo and it's been thumping the ever lasting crap outta deer. My daughter shot onethe other night and it blew the stomach OUT thru the ENTRANCE hole. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Bullet missed the heart by a hair, but still bruised the tip of the heart enough I'm sure it gave him pulmonary issues. 20220923_121126.jpg

I've been using that "black" ammo and it's been thumping the ever lasting crap outta deer. My daughter shot onethe other night and it blew the stomach OUT thru the ENTRANCE hole. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Bullet missed the heart by a hair, but still bruised the tip of the heart enough I'm sure it gave him pulmonary issues. View attachment 123199
A guy from our gun hunting group used the Black and that was going to be my next try if no other leads. He had the same results. Thanks

I originally used Hornady FTX but have had A LOT better expansion/blood trails with Barnes VOR-TX TSX

Last edited:
I shot my hogs with the hornady blacks. Thumped em good. Buddy uses same gun and same ammo for deer. Sometimes they bleed like crazy other times there’s no blood at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. I was going to try the Barnes this gun season.
For what its worth those Barnes are the reason for the post. Scheels in Iowa City had them on sale when we were down there for appointments. Bought 8 boxes because I thought they were Barnes so had to be worth it. Barnes Vor-Tx TSX 250 grains. Turns out not so much.
This is the exit on Masons doe. Entrance was a pin hole and not a drop of blood around it.
Shot went in front of near shoulder. Through chest cavity and broke leg coming out. Hole was size of finger tip. Shot was 20 yards. New to the rifle game, just expected more damage.
159ea362f595c8b8e3db801f58f86a73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

For what its worth those Barnes are the reason for the post. Scheels in Iowa City had them on sale when we were down there for appointments. Bought 8 boxes because I thought they were Barnes so had to be worth it. Barnes Vor-Tx TSX 250 grains. Turns out not so much.
This is the exit on Masons doe. Entrance was a pin hole and not a drop of blood around it.
Shot went in front of near shoulder. Through chest cavity and broke leg coming out. Hole was size of finger tip. Shot was 20 yards. New to the rifle game, just expected more damage.
159ea362f595c8b8e3db801f58f86a73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I bought some Barnes earlier this year and have never used them. Heard of the sale and went in, but I saw these and forgot why I went in. These are hammers. That hole in that deer looks crazy small!20220927_050050.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, give Bear Creek Ballistics a try...seriously, compare the ballistics of theirs vs all others. MUCH better. They're hard to get, but get on their mailing list. Typically, they send an email blast out on Fridays when they have more inventory, and they'll sell out in an hour. Worth every penny. Good luck!

Federal. Great bullet. Perfect expansion & weight retention. And the lead doesn't separate from the jacket.
Forward to 25:00 to see the bullet and retention.
The bullet performed the exact same on a previous deer.

Guys, give Bear Creek Ballistics a try...seriously, compare the ballistics of theirs vs all others. MUCH better. They're hard to get, but get on their mailing list. Typically, they send an email blast out on Fridays when they have more inventory, and they'll sell out in an hour. Worth every penny. Good luck!

I see they're sold out of the 285 grain ammo due to high demand, but they have the 240 grain high velocity round in stock. It costs a few dollars more, but pretty close. Which round is the way to go?

Top Bottom