Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

450 gets it done

Handcannon

12/05/20 At 7:30 am a nice 8 point came through and it was at 20 yards. Seemed really early to be done hunting, so I let him go. Around 1 pm a nice 10 point came by but his rack was a little thin. I let him walk too. I saw 47 does and 2 smaller bucks through out the day. Most deer came from behind me all day.
About 4:20 pm, a doe came out of the thick brush in front of me with a nice buck behind her. She looked at me and couldn't move to get in position. I have been positioned to harvest a deer behind me. She went back in the brush and I got myself positioned. She came back out a few minutes later. Looked at me again and decided that I was not a threat. She wondered up the hill. That buck was coming out, slooowly. It seemed like forever. I ran the video at 2X speed when he was coming out, took him about 20 minutes to step 15 yards. Sun was going down fast! Every time he was broadside there was brush in the way. No clear shot. Finally he made it to the edge and I took a shot at the shoulder with him quartering to me. He ran downhill about 20 yards and dropped. Then minutes later, he gets back up! I shot again. This time he ran directly away towards another property. My buddy was there and finished him at the fence for me.
He had some skull damage in the past. Extra bone, a bone spur & the antler on that side isn't quite right. Also has "mule deer" brow tines.
I use 300 grain soft point Federal Powershok, 450 Bushmaster Ruger. Those Federal bullets really hold together. Over 95% weight retention on 2 Whitetails so far. This years bullet was over 98% & expanded perfectly, full curl & didn't fall apart like the other brand I've tried (the one with the red tip). The energy dump of this cartridge is just about perfect, no over penetration.
The YouTube video is long & I cut a lot of it out waiting for the buck. I'm just your average guy with a GoPro that posts my videos to share, nothing professional about them & they are not monetized. Take a look if you have the time : )

20201211_073017.jpg20201205_163703.jpg20201208_194444.jpg20201208_194412.jpg

Great buck! That bullet opened perfect, what brand is it?! I've seen some brands not open at all. Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Great buck! That bullet opened perfect, what brand is it?! I've seen some brands not open at all. Congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
300 grain soft point Federal Powershok, in the blue box. They group very well too.

That’s frigin awesome!!! Great vid and awesome buck!!! Horse of a body too! Congrats!!!!

Specific one for u..... ur go-pro with gun & shooting & stuff- how do u mount that? On a head ban or something? Seems like it’s better option vs tactacam?? I like it!

That’s frigin awesome!!! Great vid and awesome buck!!! Horse of a body too! Congrats!!!!

Specific one for u..... ur go-pro with gun & shooting & stuff- how do u mount that? On a head ban or something? Seems like it’s better option vs tactacam?? I like it!
I use a GoPro 2. I can/do use a handlebar mount that I can put on my scope or I use the headband. Easy to use, reliable, great audio, handle recoil very well & they make all kinds of attachments for them. Also have their own editing software.
I had 2 Tactacams & they were garbage. Horrible audio & just didn't work most of the time. I did like the 3X magnification though. I sent it back for repair. They sent a new one, worked like 2X and stopped. Threw it away.
Scheels has GoPro 7 for $250.

Congrats! Great buck and story.

Ballistically, my Savage smokeless ML is dead even with the .450 Bushmaster, just limited to one shot. I’ve personally seen the carnage that can be done. Looks like you found the right round to shoot.

Congrats! Great buck and story.

Ballistically, my Savage smokeless ML is dead even with the .450 Bushmaster, just limited to one shot. I’ve personally seen the carnage that can be done. Looks like you found the right round to shoot.
Thanks! I have ML too & love the challenge of 1 shot. I am really liking this 450.

Top Bottom