Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

$48k per acre - iowa farm sold to football players!

THIS^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!. THIS is how bubbles are created and how bubbles burst!!!!! I am NOT saying it will happen or when or to what degree. But in general - this is the business model & economics that set things up to go “poof” - “we have problems”. & yes, however u wanna spin it …. IF IF IF we had a situation where corn goes back to $4-5 & beans $10 …. That bubble IS bursting. How many folks weather it is the ? Paid off land- no problem & based on that article- the paid for land will have no real issue. But the other folks: High debt & payments- YIKES! No predictions but I’d think along lines of “cautious”
& remember folks…. Any time a market gets in real trouble…. It’s not because “all people screwed up or are screwed”. It’s usually 5% that causes it. Think 2008 housing crisis where it was around that 5% that couldn’t pay. If 5% of farmers have serious trouble because costs are so high & profits too low- that absolutely throws a bomb into the mix for prices. The wealthy guys get spooked during those periods as well. To say it couldn’t come would be naive IMO.

Bill Gates is the largest private owner of land in the US. When asked why, he fell back on the old saw “they ain’t making more”. With pockets as deep as his…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40% more total dollars in the market vs 2 years ago!!!
Conversations I’ve had MANY times with guys buying farms!…. Guys paying “high prices” - over market……. “I’m doing it because my business got $2m forgiven during covid pandemic. “FREE $!!! From government”. Hundreds of thousands to millions. By definition- a few of those folks are gonna buy land. & it brought tons of new land buyers into the market. & heck, this is what I would expect- u pass out free $ & some guys wisely spend it on land.

What we just witnessed with trillions given out & raining $ on folks is crazy!!! Way more buyers got created and when huge sums got rained on people- the prices get nuts. Even the guys that said “heck, I can buy a 40 now!!!! I got free down payment $!!!!” It blew things up- Fast!!!!
I saw some of those government programs and could not believe how much money some business owners were getting. Insane.

Bill Gates is the largest private owner of land in the US. When asked why, he fell back on the old saw “they ain’t making more”. With pockets as deep as his…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe John Malone (Liberty Media) & owns 80-90% of SiriusXM radio, is the largest landowner in the US. FC67BF76-65C9-46BB-B8E9-D1D2CB4D8E18.png

THIS^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!. THIS is how bubbles are created and how bubbles burst!!!!! I am NOT saying it will happen or when or to what degree. But in general - this is the business model & economics that set things up to go “poof” - “we have problems”. & yes, however u wanna spin it …. IF IF IF we had a situation where corn goes back to $4-5 & beans $10 …. That bubble IS bursting. How many folks weather it is the ? Paid off land- no problem & based on that article- the paid for land will have no real issue. But the other folks: High debt & payments- YIKES! No predictions but I’d think along lines of “cautious”
& remember folks…. Any time a market gets in real trouble…. It’s not because “all people screwed up or are screwed”. It’s usually 5% that causes it. Think 2008 housing crisis where it was around that 5% that couldn’t pay. If 5% of farmers have serious trouble because costs are so high & profits too low- that absolutely throws a bomb into the mix for prices. The wealthy guys get spooked during those periods as well. To say it couldn’t come would be naive IMO.

I am now seeing land with low ROI and overpriced sit for longer periods and in some cases price drops after not moving. The crazy is starting to turn the corner. Just 2.5 years ago you could get good Rec ground with good ROI for 3300 to 4000. Prices can not go up that quickly with out some sort of correction eventually.

Iowa Farmer Today had an article this week on land prices. Interesting chart in embedded in the article saying 507,000 acres (1.5% of Iowa) is held by foreign entities. When you open the market globally, then you get locals bidding up because they “don’t know if the land will come up for sale again”, you get some crazy prices. Some have cash they need to spend and can justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
I wonder if those people purchsed prior to 1980 as it is my understanding that Iowa does not allow that see below. I know in Kansas the Farmers are getting pissed about the amount of land China is buying mainly cattle ground. Why any state would allow this makes zero sense to me.........if they control the land they control the politicians.

1 NONRESIDENT ALIENS — LAND OWNERSHIP, §9I.3
9I.3 Restriction on agricultural land holdings.
1. A nonresident alien, foreign business or foreign government, or an agent, trustee or
fiduciary thereof, shall not purchase or otherwise acquire agricultural land in this state. A
nonresident alien, foreign business or foreign government, or an agent, trustee or fiduciary
thereof, which owns or holds agricultural land in this state on January 1, 1980, may continue
to own or hold the land, but shall not purchase or otherwise acquire additional agricultural
land in this state.

Top Bottom