Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4th season double

lunker99

Brother and I doubled this morning. Because of the overcast light rain, we didn't hear the first gobble until 5:58 but fortunately they were very close right behind the blind. Gave a couple yelps back and they were interested. They were close enough that they had to be able to see the decoy spread from their roost trees. Turkeys were still in the tree when out in front here comes two coyotes towards the decoys.

full-116-8072-coyote_turkey.jpg

They kept coming until one sniffed the hen decoy on the left. It bolted almost immediately which caused me to miss the pic due to camera delay. They stopped and stared down the decoys from 75 yds away before trotting off in the brush

full-116-8073-coyote_turkey_4.jpg

It was hard not to lay at least one of the coyotes out when they came in, but since the toms were so close in the tree didn't want to ruin the hunt. Told my brother that since the turkeys were watching everything most likely they wouldn't come our way when they flew down. I was wrong though, as soon as they coyotes went in the brush, the toms flew down. I cut at them and almost immediately they were in front of us at 5 yds. Waited for them to get a little closer to the decoys before taking them.

full-116-8074-richard_turkey_2_2019.jpg

Shot them at 10 yds. Only 5 min had elapsed from the time the coyotes were at the dekes to when we pulled the trigger at 6:20.

full-116-8075-richard_turkey_2019.jpg

After our good 4th season hunt, brother asked if I could take his girlfriends son on a hunt. Was able to get him out last Saturday. Went to a place where I has set a blind for youth season, but hadn't needed to hunt there. Traditionally a spot that your either in the middle of them or nothing and we were going in without any recent intel. We were in luck though as two toms opened up in the small timber near the field we were in. As fly down time approached, a hen come gliding into the field and I told him that was a good sign that the toms might work our way when they flew down. Not much after that a tom came into the field and broke into strut. Could tell by the way he was angling around her that he was more interested in our decoys than the live hen. He was slowly working towards the edge of the field we were set up on when all of a sudden he broke strut and started running to the edge. Looked behind him and the other tom had entered the field, which must of been the dominant one of the pair. Once the first tom hit the field edge he strutted back up and proceeded to work his way in spitting and drumming all the way. Only had the decoys 5 yds from the blind, and he passed between the blind and the decoys before he worked back into the spread. He did a good job holding it together until after the shot. Have never witnessed an adrenaline dump quite like that with that much uncontrolled shaking, lol but it added to the fun. Didn't know it going into the hunt but turned out it was his first turkey! Got a good one for the first. 25 lbs 1 oz, 10 1/8 and 7 inch double beard, with 1" spurs.
Traton Turkey 3 2019.jpg Traton Turkey 2019.jpg Traton Turkey 2 2019.jpg

Top Bottom